Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Self grooming. Who cuts their own hair.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Thinking about buying some clippers to buzz the melon instead of going to the barbers. Anyone else practice the black art of self grooming.?

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, No1 all over. it ain’t rocket science.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, use these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-QC5530-Do-It-Yourself-Clipper-Rotating/dp/B004JQOJ30

Not a cojak though, down to no 2 level.

Moses

Yes, although I ask Mrs M to check it over & buzz the fluffy bits that I miss. It’s easy & quick & remarkably cheap.

stufive
    Free Member

Me too, not quite number 1 mind 😯

Klunk
    Free Member

yep grade 0, just behind the ears is trickiest.

Used to. Mrs MTG does it now so I get less missed tufts round the back. 😳

toys19
    Free Member

yup same here, wife finishes me off..

Klunk
    Free Member

also remember to make sure the clippers are properly charged 😳

Son hates the barbers so I’ve learnt to be pretty good. His looks great. Mind looks smart …. From the front

samuri
    Free Member

I used to but I regularly achieved the impossible and managed to cut it down to the skin in patches so stopped.

ahsparks
    Free Member

Yep I am losing my thatch so clipper it off. Just use 2 mirrors so I can get the back.

Adam

MSP

Yep, secret is to go over every inch in several different directions and do it every week, then if you do miss a tuft, it is just a weeks growth and not noticeable. Although to miss a bit you would have to be pretty cack handed. It doesn’t take long, just a few mins each Sunday morning.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

50/50 these days, I do my own when it doesn’t matter/working from home and have found a good barber in melbourne that can do the beard better when I’m actually meeting people

scotroutes

2 at the sides, 3 on top – a length down in summer. Been doing it for well over 10 years with no problems. Monthly or even less frequently.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

every week without fail. all over the head (except my ‘brows) with zero guard. piece of piss.

zippykona

Zero every week for me. Any longer than a week and it feels horrible.
    Guess it must be like growing a beard on your head.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I knock the top of then the wife tidies up. Haven’t got the patience to sit still while she does the lot! No 2 all over.
    What amazes me is that there are people out there who pay to have a clipper cut. Fancy styling maybe but a once over with the clippers? Daft1

binners

Number one all over here. You’ll never look back. Get up on a Monday morning, buzz the lot off, and that’s your personal grooming taken care of for the week. Tis very liberating 😀

bobgarrod
    Free Member

+1 here. After 15 years I believe I’ve paid off cost of clippers many times over.

…all over the head (except my ‘brows) with zero guard…

Is it just me who does eyebrows as well ?
    I’d end up with the Dennis Healey look if I didn’t. 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

My hair is amazingly fine, and I have the remains of a double crown, so there’s tiny fine hairs going in all directions up top, so it’s really easy to miss bits. And the best way to see them is to illuminate from above and slightly behind like in most office toilets.. so I only notice when I get to work then forget by the time I get home!

However, because I’ve done it so many times I know what to look for and do a better job than many hairdressers. If the Mrs is available I get her to check/do the back, otherwise I do the neck fuzz with a gillette by feel.

theflatboy
    Free Member

This thread: STW Best Clippers Thread is the next logical place to visit, OP!

cookeaa

I have done for quite some time, Grade 3 or Grade 2 all over…

But I will admit that it’s a fair bit easier and tidier to go pay the cheap and chearful barbers round the corner from my work a fiver to buzz my noggin in a luch break… which I have been doing now and then in recent months.

Oh and don’t buy one of those Babyliss round things for buzzing your own hair, My missus went and got me on as a present a while back thinking it would make life easier… It’s the biggest bag of shte going, simply doesn’t work, unless you are already bald…

Get some proper clippers do it in the garden to keep the hair out of the house, brush it all off after then head straight for the shower or you’ll be itching all day.

I did once try Grade zero, I looked like a proper thug till I put my glasses on, then I looked like a Nazi Scientist, I’ll not be going that short again..

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Is it just me who does eyebrows as well ?
    I’d end up with the Dennis Healey look if I didn’t.

don’t get me wrong, as of quite recently i’ve had to trim mine fairly often to avoid a similar appearance but i don’t use my clippers, just the odd snip here and there with a small pair of scissors!

rocketman
    Free Member

Mrs rocket cuts mine she makes a really good job of it. Gets all the stragglers that the barbers don’t see and cuts it perfectly round the back and ears

Plus she doesn’t ask me if I’m going out tonight/have I booked any holidays/did I watch the football etc

petergee
    Free Member

I’ve been cutting my own hair for about 20 years now. It’s saved me a huge amount of money over the years…but I don’r know where it’s gone. Very little left to trim on top and back now though. :cry:At the start of the year I got bored and thought I’d cultivate a mad professor look. I just looked mad. I recommend Wahl.

chris_db
    Free Member

I just shave my bonce in the shower.

Easiest hair-do in the world!

piemonster

yup same here, wife finishes me off..

😯

😆

binners

molgrips – Member

My hair is amazingly fine

I think we’ll be the judge of that, young man!

😉

rocketman – Member

Mrs rocket cuts mine she makes a really good job of it. Gets all the stragglers that the barbers don’t see and cuts it perfectly round the back and ears

A mate of mine convinced his missus that as she was cutting his hair, she’d end up getting itchy hair on her clothes, so she’d be better off doing it topless. 😆

piemonster

Yep, cut my own hair. To call it grooming is a bit much though. Closer to butchery.

cinnamon_girl

Guys – embrace your hair. Stop this shaving it all off malarkey FCOL.

stufive
    Free Member

Browes done here 😆

theflatboy
    Free Member

I do agree with you, CG and I quite like my hair as is.

I’m tempted to go the way of doing it myself, though, as the cost of keeping it looking good would be basically to have it done every 4 weeks.

There’s no way I can justify that so, in reality, it’s every 6-8 weeks. On that basis, it looks worse than I’d like for 2-4 weeks in every 8, which is quite annoying. And when you add up even 8-weekly cuts it costs a fortune. Now you see the problem!

petergee
    Free Member

Cinnamon – I’d love to embrace it. It just slips through my fingers though. Hair today…

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Zero all over for me. Get a more uniform cut than with an attachment fitted & prefer it short. Wife does a quick check to make sure nothing missed.
    Bought the clippers about 10 years ago, cost about £20 & was paying £10 a time for a haircut, so definitely saved a good few quid over the years.

cupra
    Free Member

Yes, although I ask Mrs M to check it over & buzz the fluffy bits that I miss. It’s easy & quick & remarkably cheap.

+1 although not Mrs M 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Guys – embrace your hair. Stop this shaving it all off malarkey FCOL

no, because the alternative is this:

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Self grooming. Who cuts their own hair.?’ is closed to new replies.