Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Self-employed mileage rates (bike and car)
  • ourmaninthenorth

A friend is looking to do some freelance work, which would necessitate travel to client sites. He wants to know a reasonable mileage rate to charge.

Any thoughts? Is the 40p per mile rate that most employers offer a reasonable starting position?

Oh, and does it make a difference if cycling or driving?

Thanks!

mrsflash
    Free Member

I think 40p is the recommended amount. My friend is a vicar and gets milage for her cycling, but it's less than that, can't remember what though, sorry.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can give any amount you want, but tax is payable on anything over 40p.

No idea about cycling but I wouldn't give an employee 40p a mile for it!!!

steveh

20p per mile for cycling I think. It depends if he gets travelling time or if this needs to be included in the rate. Is he paid daily or hourly for work, as I said if hourly is travel chargeable?

Personally on a day rate go for 40p/mile.

Don't forget that what he charges the client and pays himself are different so normally charging/getting more than 40p/mile means you are taxed on the amount over this, however as self employed he can claim what he likes and as long as he only pays himself 40p/mile (taking the rest as part of his dividend/salary) he avoids this.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers all.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member
    Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

in terms of being paid for the travelling time on top of the expense claim, they would have to negotiate that with the client. I wouldn't suggest charging the actual cycling time, maybe just the equivalent car journey so it doesn't look like a p!ss take.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Self-employed mileage rates (bike and car)’ is closed to new replies.