Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Self employed complainant.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just listened to some bloke on “Any Answers” complaining because he doesn’t, as a self-employed person, get enough state help.

He expressed astonishment that the system assumed he was earning a minimum of £1200 a month and and that it was quite common for the self-employed to be earning a lot less than this.

My immediate reaction was “well if you’re not earning that then you need to change your job, which you’re obviously rubbish at, pal.”

Am I a heartless swine who can’t empathise? 😥

xora

The system requires you to take any work offered, no matter the profit!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes OP.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

So somebody who works and tries to do what he can, hopes for more state support? What’s wrong with that?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suppose that could be the pay if you’re a ‘self employed’ driver for uber, deliveroo, Hermes etc.

Problem is those companies do it to avoid paying tax so youre in bind that unlike conventional minimum wage jobs therr isnt any money going to the government from the company to pay for benefits. So the government isnt going to encourage those jobs if it can help it.

Hopefully post brexit we’ll close some loopholes on Google, Starbucks et al and solve some of the problems.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hopefully post brexit we’ll close some loopholes on Google, Starbucks et al and solve some of the problems.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I find when dealing with self employed individuals the amount earned on paper is some what different to the amount in the pocket!

binners

A lot of self-employed people are essentially unemployed people who just don’t appear on the official unemployment figures or are elligable for a lot of benefits

It’s just a government scam, hence the ‘lowest unemployment rate since 1864’ or whatever

thisisnotaspoon definitely wins most deluded post of 2017. Basically, the polar opposite of that is going to happen in the corporate tax haven they’ve got lined up

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A lot of self-employed people are essentially unemployed people who just don’t appear on the official unemployment figures or are elligable for a lot of benefits

Indeed. Doesn’t stop idiots on STW quoting the figures as if we’re existing in some kind of economic miracle of the 21st century. You only have to check the EU thread. A bit of reading beyond the headlines shows a true unemployment figure in the double digits.

neilwheel
    Free Member

There’s no real help if you are self employed and struggling to find work. On the other hand, if you are doing well, you then get taxed on your projected profits in advance, not really a great incentive to expand your business. Maybe getting a bit less shafted would be nice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

I live in eternal optimism that something good might come out of this utter cluster****.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I have no sympathy for the self-employed, well no more than anyone else really. Fundamentally they went into it knowing the pitfalls, or should have done anyway.

More than that they’re rewarded by taking risks by some generous tax breaks – no one self-employed is trying to make out they’re PAYE to save a quid, doesn’t happen.

Everyone starts at zero, the difference is unlike someone who’s employed they can, with hard work, determination and a bit of luck earn a great deal of money, or work 2 days a week if they want, some I know don’t work at all, they sit back and let someone else run it and still make £100k a year – that’s the upside, the downside is the stress, the risk and the not much money in the early days.

Rough with the smooth, if you don’t like it – it’s not forced upon you.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’ve been running my own business for nearly 2 years and have decided to call it quits, everything i earned got reinvested to grown the business but the market has dwindled, it’s simply not worthwhile.

Business model and plan looked good on paper and my research before starting the business indicated that there would be demand for my services, however the market has shrunk. I’m not complaining, i knew the risks when i started and certainly didn’t expect any state support. I’ve learnt a lot on the way, made some good decisions and some bad decisions, but ultimately i need money in my pocket. I could carry on in the hope that business will pick up, but thats not something I want to do.

Paid employment starts again on the 9th October, so the kids get christmas presents this year.

nealglover
    Free Member

The system requires you to take any work offered, no matter the profit!

Please explain.

nealglover
    Free Member

My immediate reaction was “well if you’re not earning that then you need to change your job, which you’re obviously rubbish at, pal.”
    Am I a heartless swine who can’t empathise?

Absolutely.
    From that comment, Yes you are.

(But it’s more likely that you’re just trolling the many self employed people on here.)

binners

I’m self-employed

I’m self-employed because, like i’m sure a lot of people in here are, I’m qualified and experienced with a skill set that’s in demand. So to me it’s a no brainer. It works great for me

Unfortunately ‘self employment’ for a lot of people means this

It’s a scam! An unholy alliance between unscrupulous employers and a government that just wants people off the books

Cougar

I live in eternal optimism that something good might come out of this utter cluster****.

The elephant in the room here is, why don’t we fix this right now? Offshore tax evasion is nothing to do with the EU and isn’t likely to change post-Brexit. Indeed, the opposite is looking exceedingly likely.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I work 2 days a week but thats my choice and I dont expect the system to bail me out.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Self-employed covers a huge range.

Low income types just trying to get some income, those trying to run a sole trade or freelance business, contract workers both low and high paid, those trying to work flexibly rather than in an inflexible salaried environment.

And of course there are some tax advantages 😉

But the assumption currently is it’s all low paid workers, mostly using Uber, and they’re being abused by big corporates and thus need to be given full employee privileges and hand outs by the state, and once that kind of ruling occurs we can say goodbye to self employment and flexibility as everyone will have to be salaried working for big corporates or the state. Or in Corbyn’s world, just the state and big corporates will be burnt to the ground.

😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The elephant in the room here is, why don’t we fix this right now? Offshore tax evasion is nothing to do with the EU and isn’t likely to change post-Brexit. Indeed, the opposite is looking exceedingly likely.

Difference between hiding money offshore (Caymans etc) and accounting tricks like the “Dutch sandwich”, “Double Irish” etc, which are avoidance rather than evasion which only work because of the free movement of money within the EU.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Self employed complainant.’ is closed to new replies.