Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Self-build cycling holiday – Avignon Area – Hints and Tips
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Having done a couple of weeks around Brittany a couple of years ago, mrs deadly and I fancy a week/ten days cycling around the Avignon area. We can get the eurostar there quite reasonably.

It was seeing the Tour last year, from Marseilles to La Grande Motte going through the Camargue and then from Le Cap d'Agde down to Perpignan that decided it for us – we're also planning on going sometime in September so further south will give us a better chance of reasonable weather. We will most likely stay in chambre d'hotes – we always have more fun this way and tend to meet more people – we tried camping before and it was a bit too much faffing. It hasn't been completely discounted, economics will decide in the end.

It is also the rugby heartland of France – Perpignan, Carcassonne, Castre, Toulouse etc. – I quite fancy pootling around in my Munster shirt – always goes down well in France (especially if we turn Biarritz over 😯 ).We won't be covering great distances – it's the stopping, the wine, the beer, the food along the way that we enjoy rather than the riding itself.

So a couple of questions for those familiar with the area…

Firstly, what's the best way to do oneself a cycle route? Goggle maps obviously is good for car or walking…anybody know of a website with suggested routes/itineraries on there?

Anyone know of a good bike hire place in and around Avignon (yes, I've googled…just wondering if there are other companies that hire out decent kit)?

Town/sights/rivers/vineyards that shouldn't be missed? The plan is start in Avignon (or possibly Orange, slightly north of Avignon), work south west over a week or so and then get a train back to Avignon for a night, drop off bikes and train back home then.

Any suggestions, advice welcome. Ta.

MrBlond
    Free Member

ViaMichelin has a 'bike' option on its route planner: http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I fank you very much MrBlond. I didn't know that. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shameless bump…anyone in today with suggestions for that part of France ie Orange, Avignon, Montpelier etc?

trailmonkey

I was down that way a couple of years ago. Lots of big hills in the region and a pretty big mountain ragnge in the Cevennes. Excellent riding
    As in all of France, there is an extensive amount of waymarked trails. All you have to do is follow the link below, click on the area that you are going to and this should show the bike shops/tourist offices that can supply all of the route cards that accompany the waymarked trails. Simple.

Click on the map

mugsys_m8

Veloventoux might be able to help you out. Great chalet etc from what I hear. Not Avigno per se. but not miles away.

If you end up anywhere near Grenoble give me a shout.

skidartist
    Free Member

the Cycling France book has some good touring routes. We tacked two together starting from Les Arc Sur Argens (on the train line between Avignon and Nice) going through the Gorge du Verdon, Moustier Ste Marie, and Forcalquier, Apt, Cavailion (we did the route twice and skipped Cavailion the second time in favor of Roussillon), Gorde, Sault, Mt Ventoux, Vaison la Romaine, Orange and ending up in Avignon.

All lovely

would happily do it a third time (and we met a fair few people who've been returning to the area, even the same camping pitch) for 20 odd years

We like the hills though, riding on the flat kills us. Between Avignon and Orange is fairly mellow, conspire to be in Orange on a market day, its amazing. Going to the south of Avignon its flatter. The book has a three day tour Avignon/Nimes/Arles thats quite easy rolling, but we just pootled along as far as St Remy de Provance (v.nice) and back as we'd arrived in Avignon with a day in hand.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

avignon is a nice place, went there 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. nice river trips and the pope's palace are worth a gander imo. we had excellent weather and got some outstanding views from the top of the pope's palace.

generally a nice area to be in

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies there guys…some useful stuff 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Self-build cycling holiday – Avignon Area – Hints and Tips’ is closed to new replies.