• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • self build 29er disc wheels spoke opinions…
  • cp

I’m building up some new, lightweight for XC racing, Trailquests etc… 29er wheels.

Hubs are XT rear from spares & SS switch front (probably).

Rims will probably be SS Sentinel. Or Crests if I suddenly feel flush.

But spokes..?!!

So I read that Sapim recommend not using laser spokes on disc wheels. Well, back in 2001 I had some Hope hubs/XC717 built with lasers and they were perfect, no issues at all.

As far as I can tell, they are as near as dammit identical to DT revs. My current self-build wheels use rev’s (on Stans Olympic 26″) and again, absolutely fine. I don’t particularly notice flex, though I have built them on the tight side, no matter what no tubes say about tension.

But I have no experience of using them on 29er wheels. One option would be Sapim d-light or the dt equiv, but they are friggin expensive (I can do two wheels with revs for 35 quid, whereas d-light would double that at least).

Anyone running 29er wheels with DT revs (or Sapim laser for that matter)? Any opinions? Or should I just take the weight hit and build with bog standard double butted ACI?

This 29er malarky is giving me headaches!

cp

bump – anyone?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Build my front 29er wheel with super comp and a crest rim
    Been on the bike a few months and been fine

Just building the rear with plain old Dt comp as that what I had spare

Stans 29er rims do have a rather low recomened tension
    Which I followed and done not seem a problem
    But only xc so far and I’m slim

bentudder

It depends on your weight and riding style.

One thing to bear in mind is that, with disc brakes, braking moment is transmitted from the hub, via the spokes, to the rim and then to the tyre. Rim brakes transfer the moment from the rim to the tyre. I’ve noticed I break more spoke and nipple breakages with disc brakes – and they tend to fatigue at the J or snap the nipple at the point where the spoke isn’t in the nipple thread. Various people suggest that it’s worth putting in slightly longer spokes that completely fill the thread of the nipple – which seems very sensible in my opinion.

I’ve built a 29er wheel with DT Revs and it’s been fine. I’m around 80kg without kit, was riding rigid and am fairly gentle on my kit.

Normally I build with Comps, by the way. I tend to build Stans rims a bit tighter than the recommended.

It’s a long way of saying: if you regularly trash wheels, maybe consider a less than whippety build.

One other thing: lighter is not always best. I had a lovely, lovely pair of 26″ Stans Olympics on Maguras from JRA a while back which were lovely and light, but also a bit flexy. They were built nice and tight and true (and Jon and Bec know their wheelbuilding far better than I ever will) but were just too light for my riding. I swapped them for a pair of alu Easton Havocs, which were much more rigid.

I hope all this helps – apologies if not.

cp

I’ve never trashed a wheel, never even broken a spoke on an mtb that didn’t occur because something went in the wheel! I vary between 80-85kg, and they will be going on a hardtail. I’ve not had a problem at all in the rocky peak district with the current 26er olympics & revs.

bentudder

In that case, maybe see how light you can build it. Comps are just fine, Revs if you’re feeling flush. Enjoy!

Keef
    Free Member

built a few lightweight xc 29er wheels with Revs and Stans crests…
    no issues at all.

tang
    Free Member

i got 2 wheels worth(plus a few spares) of dt revs for my crest/pro2 build from rosebikes for £36 posted inc nipples last week.

cp

aye, it’s either those from rose or lasers from action sports (in black) along with a few other bits and bobs….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘self build 29er disc wheels spoke opinions…’ is closed to new replies.