Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Self appointed leaders of men (cycling)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Went into the kitchen to make the missus a cuppa when I noticed a local Tri club member stop outside.
    He dismounted and produced a clipboard, and was soon joined by a small well equipped group.
    I couldn’t hear what he was saying, but it was clearly about riding the hill outside my house.
    Anyway my missus finished making the tea, drank it and returned the cup.
    He was still gassing, and a few of his riders were already in that familiar arms folded tight **** me it’s freezing pose.
    Then he gesticulated the correct position of the feet for climbing, in his opinion heels down throughout the entire revolution.
    I made a cuppa for myself as it was getting interesting.
    He went onto hand positioning, the drops were recommended for this slow hill.
    Finally they set off. personally I’d have recommended the small ring.

I put this in chat as you seem to get folk like this in all sorts of fields. I’m certain he was full of good intention and passionate and that his guided ride got a few bums in saddles, but blimey.

psling
    Free Member

Went into the kitchen to make the missus a cuppa…

Anyway my missus finished making the tea,

That’s all I needed to read to make me chuckle 😀

wors

Went into the kitchen to make the missus a cuppa…
    Anyway my missus finished making the tea,

Top man 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, yes you do get folks like that in all sports ( and business come to that )

Its perpetuated by the need of “others” to follow, a bit like sheep. You get a rogue sheep that decides all on its own volition to meander ” over there “, other sheep then follow with no rhyme/reason for the follow on and lo & behold by the time the rogue sheep has crossed the field, the ” others ” deem him a leader and follow him around ad nausium.

May I offer this as way of ” not giving a toss to those who think they ought to become leaders “

And just do your own thing, maaaan.

Anyway, bit new skool “heals down” riding that. Shirley the ” leader ” was 8 years old.

maccruiskeen

You should have grabbed your bike and just as man with clipboard finished his schpeel gone to join the group with a

“Alright chumps I’m back. Lets do this”

Then headed off up the wrong hill in the wrong gear yelling ‘Leeeeeroooooy Jenkins!’

oldgit
    Free Member

And they stole our kit.
    Us Lime green shoulders, white band, black lower with a dark grey Buzzard embossed in the black section.
    Them black shoulders, white band, lime green lower with a Buzzard pattern in it.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve come across a few of those self appointed leaders, who are quite a distinct group from those who naturally lead. Almost guaranteed to be tossers and producing a clipboard confirms this, unless he was setting up something ‘special’ 🙄

Here’s a pic of someone who could have been so much better on the hills if he’d kept his heels down

theotherjonv

That’s a breakaway faction of your club which you helped set up. That wasn’t coincidence they were outside your house, they’re rubbing it in. Send them a cease and desist letter re the kit too.

crazy-legs

There’s something about triathletes climbing hills isn’t there? Something very entertaining.

A group of triathletes turned up at a Sportive local to me a few weeks ago (without paying, they basically just rode round the route for free but still stopped at the feed station and nicked all the cake).

Anyway, there’s a cobbled hill on the route, quite a tough climb, and one of these charlies went into it still on the tri bars. Wobbled up it for about 5m then fell off sideways. Idiot.

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t want to start a tri bashing post…oh no, I was one for a decade 🙄
    But they do seem to insist of inventing a totally new form of cycling, like how they ride has to be different?
    They ain’t humble either I know that, one tagged along on our old boys training ride and we weren’t going to go fast, icy and races coming up, and he actually said we were too slow for him. Despite hanging in the group and only popping out to hit the climbs before fading to the back.
    I like to think he reported back to his club and went on about how slow we all are 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Self appointed leaders of men (cycling)’ is closed to new replies.