Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Self-adjusting SRAM Guides
  • legend
    Free Member

Anyone else had this problem? I put a wee dot of tipp-ex on the reach adjusters today to see if it would confirm my suspicions, almost immediately I could see that the adjusters were winding in of their own accord*.

Any ideas on stopping it? The lever assembly makes it very hard to get loctite into the correct area, haven’t been able to have a proper look to see how to strip this part of the lever down though (looks like a right pain in the arse)

*Not seen since 2001 Hayes HFX brakes I believe

thegreatape
    Free Member

Gaffer tape

legend
    Free Member

Still need the lever apart to get that in. Tried to get ptfe tape in, no chance of it working without taking everything apart

yacoby
    Free Member

Yep. Had this happen during a race – ended up being able to pull my rear brake to the bar. Massive crash followed.

Solved it by running Shimano. Shame as I really liked the feel of the guides.

legend
    Free Member

Just binned my Shimanos due to a massively wondering bite point and another two failing master cylinders 🙂

teethgrinder

threadlock bath? Or apply with a cocktail stick.

mboy
    Free Member

I could see that the adjusters were winding in of their own accord*.

Winding out you mean?

Yes experienced it a couple of times. Solved it by spraying a Teflon lube onto the threads to clean all the muck off, then let that dry and dabbed a few drops of thread lock in there.

Solved it by running Shimano. Shame as I really liked the feel of the guides.

It’s not an exclusive problem to SRAM. I’ve had it happen on Shimano too before now…

benpinnick

I happens because the lever can move independently from the cam, when the lever bounces forward in rough stuff, it means the little wavy nut is no longer engaged onto the cam, so it can wind both ways, in or out. I’ve never found it a problem, but if you’re 100% happy with the position of the lever, you could drop in a drop of superglue and glue the wavy nut onto the cam so its permanently attached and can’t bounce forward. Not sure how long that might last though.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this problem but will now look out for it,maybe I haven’t seen it because I always have finger resting on lever holding it steady and stopping it vibrating at all times. Perhaps if it’s happening like Ben says,you could use a slice of inner tube or O ring like an elastic band from bar over base of lever to keep it in place .I’ve had to do this to worn elixir cams before to stop em flopping .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Self-adjusting SRAM Guides’ is closed to new replies.