Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • sektor coils or rev's?
  • barzy38
    Free Member

Looking to replace my trashed old rev’s and haven’t got too much to spend. Anyone compared ride quality of sektor rl coils to air rev’s? Best deals showing about £100 difference, plus obviously a few grams. I’ve got a blackbox damper to swap if that would maybe improve the sektors?
    Cheers

robbonzo
    Free Member

I’ve got both – coil u-turn sektors, prefer the Revs, real smooth.

steel4real
    Free Member

I’ve had both, Sektor coils have a really nice feel BUT the damping can get over faced.

I sold both sets of Sektors and I’m running 2 sets Revs now as the damping is so much better and outweighed the coil feel with the weight saving tipping the balance (I ran one of each on two bikes for a while so I was sure). I also run some 2009 Fox VAN RLC’s which are to my liking even more, coil with excellent damping 😉

The best fork for me would have been a Sektor coil with the Rev damper but while I think a few folk have done something similar it’s generally as straight forward.

jairaj

I tried a set of Sektor R (coils) while my Revs RLT (dual air) were off getting serviced. I run my moco Revs fully open so thought there would be little or no difference with a Sektor R.

The Sektors felt nice and smooth and the spring weight was correct for my weight, but I found them too linear for my liking. I didn’t get enough mid stroke support. The Revs had the ability to stand up in travel a bit more.

I wouldn’t be able to tell you if this was just the difference between air and coil or a difference between the compression circuits on the fork.

The Sektor was still a good fork but if I could spend more on a Rev I would.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Swapped my Sektor coils for Revs, as I couldn’t get a spring to match my weight. The standard spring was too weak, and had a couple of OTB moments on steep stuff. Obviously not a problem with an air spring. I hence have a set of 2012 sektors in the loft, in the hope that one day I’ll find a firm spring for them.

honourablegeorge

jairaj – Member
    I tried a set of Sektor R (coils) while my Revs RLT (dual air) were off getting serviced. I run my moco Revs fully open so thought there would be little or no difference with a Sektor R.

The Sektors felt nice and smooth and the spring weight was correct for my weight, but I found them too linear for my liking. I didn’t get enough mid stroke support. The Revs had the ability to stand up in travel a bit more.

I wouldn’t be able to tell you if this was just the difference between air and coil or a difference between the compression circuits on the fork.

The Sektor was still a good fork but if I could spend more on a Rev I would.

I took apart a Sektor R at thw weekend – I assumed it had a basic compression damper inside, but with no external adjustment. What it actually has is a black plastic cap on the top of the drive side leg, with absolutely nothing underneath, no compression damper of any description.

No surprise you felt a lack of mid stroke… 🙂

jairaj

honourablegeorge
    What it actually has is a black plastic cap on the top of the drive side leg, with absolutely nothing underneath, no compression damper of any description.

I had a suspicion that was the case as it didn’t even have a lock out lever. I’d like to know how it would feel with a moco damper inside? The initial stroke of the coil was fine just the mid stoke which just seemed to move a bit too much.

highlandman
    Free Member

Lots of Sektors about with Mo-co dampers inside; indistinguishable from a Revelation. Including GF’s coil U-turn, which is a very competent fork.

honourablegeorge

jairaj – Member

I had a suspicion that was the case as it didn’t even have a lock out lever. I’d like to know how it would feel with a moco damper inside? The initial stroke of the coil was fine just the mid stoke which just seemed to move a bit too much.

I put an RL Moco DNA damper into it, and to me, the difference is night and day – I’ll caveat that by saying it was a fix I was doing for a friend and he hasn’t ridden the fork yet, so it’s based on me larking about on his bike around the house. I’ll post up once he’s ridden it, but same as you, diving was his problem, and no amount of preload was helping.

Very easy mod too – 5mls extra oil (for 140/150 forks), just unscrew the cap, squirt in the oil, screw in the RL damper, screw on the adjuster, done.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘sektor coils or rev's?’ is closed to new replies.