• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Seized/sticky brake calipers
  • organic355
    Free Member

Bled my avid elixirs today, but they a still a bit sticky and rub. The pad contact is all the way out and I have adjustedbthe alignment via the mounting bolts, but the pads are still rubbing on the discs.

The rear brake caliper was seized in the out position but I managed to move it before the bleed. So what are my next steps?

organic355
    Free Member

Assuming I need to get them stripped and cleaned and there isn’t an easy fix ?

JAG

Take the pads out of the calipers and very carefully pull the brake levers until the pistons are sticking out of the calipers by about 3-5mm.

Put some brake fluid on the tip of a flat bladed screwdriver and use it to put some brake fluid at the junction of the pistons and the caliper body.

Now push the pistons back in slowly and carefully – make sure they remain square to the caliper body.

This should free up the pistons – this is the major cause of your problem. If it doesn’t work after 1 go do it again until it does work 😆

Have fun!

alexpalacefan

+1 for JAG, but I’d put the fluid in there with a cotton bud. Use another bud to clean all the crap out of the calliper 1st (use DOT), so none gets onto your pistons

APF

br
    Free Member

Avids? Just bin/ebay them now otherwise you’ll have grief until you do.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Avids? Just bin/ebay them now otherwise you’ll have grief until you do.

Rubbish. I’m sure some people have had bad experiences with them but you’ll find that with any brakes.

I got Juicy 7s on my bike from new and planned to replace them. 4 years later they’re still there. They’ve been hammered plenty and never given a moment’s grief. Not done any particular maintenance on them either.

JAG

Use whichever brake fluid you would put in the reservoir on your brakes – some are Mineral oil and some use the DOT stuff.

Get the right one or you’ll damage your brakes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Seized/sticky brake calipers’ is closed to new replies.