Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • seized seatpost
  • timberjack
    Free Member

my seatpost is seized solid in my steel hard tail, any ideas how i’ll get it out ?

bencooper
    Free Member

What have you tried so far? Soaking in Plus Gas for a while, clamping the post in a vice and twisting the bike are the simplest things to try. After that it gets more destructive.

freewheeling
    Free Member

If you live near Coventry I know a great frame builder who got my seatpost moving again without heat or damage, think he used the “post in a vice and twist” method.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bencooper
    Free Member

There’s always a sliding scale – I try the simple, non-destructive things first then move onto more applied violence if they don’t work 😉

Northwind

I turned mine upside down and poured diesel down into the seat tube from the BB shell, and left it to soak for a while- it soaked through the seatpost/seattube “seal” after a while, made a terrible mess obviously but made a big difference to getting it out.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Take the bb out, turn frame upside down and pour caustic soda down the seat tube. Never fails and won’t damage the frame, but you will need a new seat post!

timberjack
    Free Member

I will try the vice method first and take it from there, got to get it lowered or i’m going to hurt myself, cheers for the help

JoeG
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘seized seatpost’ is closed to new replies.