Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Seized pedal!
  • meandyuk

Hi,

I have a pedal which is seized! And the spindle has been quite rounded now…
    Anyone know any tips to get it off? I’ve taken it to Evans cycles in Leeds and they couldn’t do it.

Pedals are ultegra touring and crank is a ultegra 6700, I’d get a new crankset but looking for a cheaper alternative first!

Cheers
    Andy

Edric64
    Free Member

Picture please ,how does the flat for a spanner get rounded on a pedal ,they are pretty hard ?

meandyuk

It’s an Allen key to the back of the spindle
    Pic to follow

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    devash
    Free Member

Hi Andy, if you’re in Leeds then these guys will sort it for you…

http://www.rceuk.co.uk/

Highly recommended, cheap, and they love a good challenge.

Edric64
    Free Member

A600 pedals? could you file flats on the spindle and get a spanner on it ,maybe with a piece of bar over it for leverage ?

meandyuk

Yeah A600 pedals, not sure what you mean by ‘file flats’?

Devash: cheers will check them out! this is my good road bike so need to know they won’t **** it up/melt my frame 🙂

Pics:

meandyuk

Ok I get it now, I could try that, think the spindles are titanium so might take a while to flatten…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Hot water on the end of the crank and a new Allen key maybe with a screwdriver jammed next to it

Edit Opps to sliw

fourbanger
    Free Member

Stillsons

timba
    Free Member

If it’s properly seized then leverage alone will fetch the crank thread out with the pedal spindle (don’t ask how I know 😥 )

Heat expansion first (suggested above) and if it’s just awkward/tight then it’s a matter of holding one bit still and rotating the other (watch out for the chainring!)

If it’s resisting a bit too well then get help (suggested above)
    A helicoil, maybe £15 at your LBS, may provide a worse-case solution

I now use lots of grease/anti-seize, don’t over-tighten and make regular checks

matther01
    Free Member

Had this but with a crank bolt. LBS drilled it out carefully without damaging the crank threads and cost me a tenner.

otsdr
    Free Member

Are those cracks? If so, using an Allen wrench will only expand the bolthead.
    And if the crankarm is cracked, welp…

meandyuk

Good spot. Those are cracks ! Only on the edge of the Allen key fitting on spindle, nothing on the crankarm itself luckily…. I’m guessing we are talking drilling now?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Had the same combination of pedal/crank amd the same cracking of the axle at the hex bolt end – sorted it by disassembling the pedal, grinding some flats on the axle and dosing with some freeze-spray before levering away.
    It came out eventually and no damage to the crank 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

Oversized Torq hammered in – probably need to remove the crank arm first.
    Then a big bar/scaffold tube for leverage?

P20

Smash the pedal body off, grind some flats on the axle, stick it in a vice, heat and go for it

hilldodger
    Free Member

Once the hex bolt end has started to crack, anything wedged, hammered or forcefully inserted will just expand the cracked threads so they bind even tighter.
    You have to tackle it from the non hex bolt end, preferably temperature assisted.

therevokid
    Free Member

stupid question but … you are turning the right way ?
    Yes I’ve been there and “fudged” that 😉

cro-mo axle and steel insert may mean some corrosion. try a good dose
    of plus gas over night and tightening the pedal a fraction to break the corrosion bind.
    also a torx bit may provide some extra grip on the rounded bolt head.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Oh FFS – it’s caused by the hex bolt end cracking and expanding as you use it to attempt to loosen the pedal.
    Any attempt to use the hex bolt in any direction with any tool will just expand the axle and bind it up in the crank thread.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Can’t you get the crank in a vice and hammer in a slightly larger torx bit. You could use plus Gas & boiling water to help it along its way

soobalias
    Free Member

agree with hilldodger.

you need to remove the pedal from the axle and grind/mangle something on that side to get a grip of.

judging by some of your comments above, i recommend you buy new cranks/pedals.

meandyuk

Bloody hell, I don’t have access to a workshop – if anyone in the Leeds area fancies a go let me know, can provide beer tokens 🙂
    The annoying thing is I bought the bike second hand, the previous owner was pretty convinced they would come off – I don’t even want these pedals!! Rant over 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

It will be easy to remove the body of the spd from the axle , just undo the nut and pull it off leaving the axle sticking out of the crank arm.

Must admit I did not see the cracks when I first read thread

T1000
    Free Member

as some of the posts above

Remove pedal body and use a set of stilsons, no need to file flats etc

lunge

Good spot. Those are cracks ! Only on the edge of the Allen key fitting on spindle, nothing on the crankarm itself luckily…. I’m guessing we are talking drilling now?

You sure there’s nothing on the crankarm? It looks like there is one in that pic, under the 175. You can try a few things but I would suggest your cranks are shot anyway.

augustuswindsock

Why the hell don’t shimano use a hexagonal spindle like time etc etc so pedals can be removed with a pedal spanner? I’ve got a perfectly good xt pedal permanently stuck to a crank exactly the same as OP, I rounded off an Allen key trying to remove it, tried heating, gt85, huge pipe on Allen key for leverage- nowt moved it, boils my pi55!!!

mjsmke

If the crank arms cracked and the pedals rounded why bother rooming it? You will need to replace both the crank arm and pedals anyway so why bother trying to remove it?

meandyuk

I agree the crank arms do look cracked on the photo but I have them a wipe and couldn’t see anything after. Might get hold of stilsons

adsh
    Free Member

I had exactly this on an XT crank after someone undid it the wrong way – Stilsons ain’t going to touch that mutha!

-Remove crank from bike

-Remove pedal body so you just have the seized spindle left in the crank

-Fire up an angle grinder and grind 2x flats on the spindle.

-Put flats in big vice

-Rotate crank in correct direction if you can’t add padding and put pipe over it.

Worked for me – couple of bits of swarf but fine.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Soak the end of the crank in some kind of penetrating fluid.

Take the pedal body off as above, then see if a local engineering company will weld some scrap plates to the axle, or grind it flat on two sides for you.

Clamp in vice and give it all you’ve got.

With those cracks, I think you’ll be lucky to get it out without tearing up the threads though…

njee20
    Free Member

Ok I get it now, I could try that, think the spindles are titanium so might take a while to flatten…

They’re not, they’re steel, if that helps. Unless you’ve changed them.

meandyuk

So after a fair bit of messing around, I took it to recycle engineering in Leeds (as recommended cheers – good guys) and they sorted it by grinding flats to the spindle and levering it off…

Crank arm threads were luckily ok and I now have my pedals on 🙂

Apparently the previous owner had put them on dry…
    Cheers for the suggestions all.
    Andy

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Seized pedal!’ is closed to new replies.