• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ton.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Seized forks…
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Revelations.

OK – they were “due a bit of a service” having had no maintenance for the last 3 years. My regime was just clean & lube after each ride and they had developed a bit of stanchion wear and some play (worn bushings, I’m guessing)

however, after sunday’s ride they have seized completely, as in no movement whatsoever. I really fancy the new maxle-lite Revs but I’m loath to shell out >=£500 at the moment.

What’s the prognosis from the STW knowledge-base?

Sensible advice would be welcome as well as the usual abuse ;o)

Cheers,

SC

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Take them to bits, clean and reassemble, you may get a bit more life out of them.

Can’t make it any worse.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

strip and re-asseble with fresh lubes and oil, wont cost more than a tenner in oils.

most likely the lowers have run out of oil completely, or could be more serious (bent damping rods, blown seals)

adstick
    Free Member

You should have serviced them!!!

A service will probably get them going again, but you really need new forks, or crown stanchion assembly and bushings if this is is more economical (though unlikely I think). Then look after the things!! Lecture over 🙂

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Strip ’em down, check all the hardware for wear/damage, replace seals, new oil ten Hail Mary’s for the unconscionable treatment of your bike and go and do four gnarly/rad things. Dude.

Amen.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers. Dude.

It’s been a long time since I said ten Hail Mary’s, but I feel it’s a fair penance for my neglect.

How difficult a job is it? Any special tools needed?

(Stripping the forks, that is. Ten Hail Marys’ I know how to do)

ton

we have had a scottish related thread tonight about certain things.
    dont let me bring up another merit of our friends in the north…..
    spend some moola 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ton,

I’m hoping I can either do it myself with a skean dhu and a lump hammer or I can get someone else to do it for a barrowful of neeps.

ton

😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Seized forks…’ is closed to new replies.