Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Seized brake caliper (Nissan Micra)
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Need to change the brakes and discs on her car and I have realised the calliper is quite stiff and hard to push back. Is there a way of unseizing it or should I just replace the calliper and bleed the system? I’d rather aviod having to bleed but if it’s easier and quicker, i’ll have to as she needs the car for work.

Thanks in advance

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can free them off but imo you need to replace them as they sieze again quickly

trail_rat
    Free Member

That is of course if its siezed. Most Car brakes do need a chunk of effort to get em back !

br
    Free Member

It may rotate out/in rather than just straight out/in, my old 405 was like that.

Otherwise just put the old stuff back on and get a new (or s/h) caliper – not dear.

Offroading
    Free Member

bleeding car brakes is a piece of cake. easier than a mtb

if the piston is stiff buy a new caliper. Free them up works short term but it will seize and destroy the new pads/disc which will cost you more ££££ in the long run

andyl
    Free Member

yup, check it’s not a wind in piston if it’s a rear one.

If it s faulty get some refurb ones. Much less hassle than trying to sort them and myou can be confident they will be reliable.

Northwind

Yeah, I fannied around with used ones before realising that refurbs were only about £20 more.

highclimber
    Free Member

Cool thanks guys, I’ll get some new callipers instead. they’re not that much I don’t think.

JCL
    Free Member

Or you could just clamp the hose, drive the piston out, clean the surface corrosion off, put it back together, and it could be great for 3 years like mine has been.

highclimber
    Free Member

does it matter that there is a nick in the rubber boot around the piston?

JCL
    Free Member

Depends how bad. You can always just get that one seal. If you filled the boot with heavy grease it would be fine for ages I bet.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If you filled the boot with heavy grease it would be fine for ages I bet.

Then you’d die. Or kill someone else.

Unless the grease was specifically designed for brake caliper use. Do not use mineral greases.

Carbone
    Free Member

Did you try n push back with a bleed screw open ? if not you can’t outrule a collapsed flexy hose , more than likely the caliper but saves spending extra money.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Seized brake caliper (Nissan Micra)’ is closed to new replies.