Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Seiko fans – help, which diver?
  • RustySpanner

Hello folks.

Birthday coming up and I fancy a watch – had a look on the Creation website and like the look of these:

Seiko Stargate.

Not sure of the hierarchy of Seiko auto movements, but this seems a good ‘un.

This is a cheaper option:
    Seiko 007.

Very slightly prefer the look of the cheaper one, but the Stargate seems to be amazing value with nicer construction and a better movement.

What do you reckon?

Anything other auto divers I should be looking for under 200 quid?

Thanks in advance – all advice appreciated!

CountZero

Liking the Stargate too, nice clear face, I’m not too certain about how the Seiko automatics go, the ‘5’ models are at the bottom, I believe, but are perfectly good for all that. My SPORK is a 4R15 auto, which isn’t hackable, but once properly set, is pretty accurate.
    [edit] How much! 😯
    Blimey, go for the Stargate, at that price it’s an absolute bargain. My SPORK was £350, NOS, with warranty.

RustySpanner

CZ, thanks for the response!

Sorry, I’m a complete newbie to this.
    What does hackable mean?

I’ve found this guide to auto movements so I’ll do a bit more study. Watchfreaks.

I’ve had a 5 in the past, which stopped working after a couple of years.
    Hence looking at the slightly (allegedly) superior movements.

chewkw
    Free Member

Personally I prefer the Japan made Monster range.

Seiko Japan Made Automatic Monster Diver SRP307J SRP307

Or

Get the rubber strap … I like this design but it is not made in JapLand.

Seiko Moster

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:

Amazon Linky

I really like it but it is pretty heavy.

CountZero

Sorry, hackable means that you can stop the second hand where you want, to set the time more accurately. It’s sort of possible with the 4R15, by holding the hands in one place while winding them backwards, but it’s a bit hit-or-miss, and tricky to describe.
    There are Seiko-specific fora on some watch sites, I think watchyouseek has one, I’ll check in a mo’.
    Here’s one: http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php
    Yeah, here you go: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/more-spork-greatness-srp043k-lots-pics-509664.html
    Featuring my Seiko… 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Electric Worry – Member

I’ve got one of these:

Is that made in Japan?

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

erm, I don’t know chewkw. I would have thought it would say either on the face (a la swiss) or on the case but no dice. How else can I tell?

The Japanese made ones you showed earlier don’t have the numbers on the face and mine does (a bit like the orange faced one earlier and the one in my picture).

chewkw
    Free Member

Electric Worry – Member

The Japanese made ones you showed earlier don’t have the numbers on the face and mine does (a bit like the orange faced one earlier and the one in my picture).

That’s what I thought the JapLand model does not have numbers on the face. ❓

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

checking my amazon link the description says Japan 21 jewel automatic self winding movement (7S26). So I guess yes.

earl_brutus

Fancy one of these at the mo Seiko diver

joolsburger
    Free Member
    DT78
    Free Member

I’ve got an orange faced monster, my holiday watch, got it with the metal strap, maybe I’m a snob but the strap felt cheap and nasty compared to the watch. Took it off and it’s now on black rubber.

chewkw
    Free Member

Electric Worry – Member

checking my amazon link the description says Japan 21 jewel automatic self winding movement (7S26). So I guess yes.

Nevermind as they are all equally good.

Is this the second generation Monster?

7S26 is good as my Seiko military has 4R16 (cannot hack)… arggghhh …

p/s: this is the 2nd Generation Monster

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Like that Stargate, if it’s gonna be for a birthday get on to Yobokies and get something

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez those monsters look like they came out of a cornflakes packet.

Get a nice old one Rusty.

RustySpanner

I agree Al, the Monsters are not for me.
    Too modern for my taste.

The one’s in my op get excellent reviews and I quite like the look.
    Ta everyone, lots to think about.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rusty,

I would go for the first one in OP.

The 4R36 is good movement apparently similar to 2nd generation Monster.

You can stop the second hand whatever.

:mrgreen:

p/s: similar movement to this 2nd gen Monster.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19kR1iYBc4Y[/video]

billyboulders
    Free Member

Skx007 as pictured in your first post would be my choice. Rubber strap is IMO way more comfortable though, the seiko metal bracelet also feels a bit rattly and cheap to me. There is a suggestion that the “J” models of the 007 (Japan domestic market, as opposed to the “K” or export version in your picture) is made to better tolerances or is subject to higher qc. You can see the difference as the “J” will have “21 Jewels” printed on the dial below where it says “Divers 200m” and also a tiny “made in Japan” down by the 6 o’clock marker. The “J” is about £20 more from creation. I have seen “K” models with misaligned chapter rings but never on a “J” model (although I have seen far fewer of them to be fair) so the rumour of better quality control may be true.
    The 7s26 seiko automatic movement is an excellent workhorse and has been refined over the years to give pretty good accuracy. It has to be said the best way to mess up the accuracy of any mechanical watch is wear it mountain biking, there are some tiny and delicate components inside there and no matter how “shock proof” it may be they really don’t like all that vibration!

CountZero

Comparison between Monster and Stargate here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/stargate-really-better-watch-than-seiko-monster-522081.html
    Nice photo of both side by side, the Stargate is by far the better looking watch, and, honestly, I’m seriously tempted by a Stargate at that price. I can’t afford it, and God knows I don’t need it, but that’s a really nice looking watch…

DT78
    Free Member

If it makes any difference in your decision the orange face is really really clear and easy to read underwater….

craigxxl
    Free Member
    chico
    Free Member

I bought a skx011j from Creation about 2 months ago. Similar to the 007 watches but with orange face. It came with rubber strap but I put an oyster stainless on it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xkjpgowk4nch84j/Lvodzxv2Ts

MrSmith
    Free Member

Those orange monsters look grim, straight out of a Christmas cracker.

duntstick
    Free Member

Watch face full of clugg in each example…………I’m out

RustySpanner

billyboulders, good info, ta.

By the same reckoning, the Japanese ‘J’ version of the Stargate should be a better watch than the ‘K’ version, but otherwise similar?

The Stargate has the R436 movement as opposed to the 7s26 of the 007.

Much between them, to your knowledge? Neither will be used for cycling. 😀

CountZero – Member …..
    honestly, I’m seriously tempted by a Stargate at that price. I can’t afford it, and God knows I don’t need it, but that’s a really nice looking watch…

I know. 🙂

Sorry.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Got an orange monster as my working/scratching up watch. It’s pretty durable and I like orange things. Glows like a torch as well after a bit in the sun.

Stargate and Spork are a bit classier but more dosh.

CountZero

Damn you for leading me into temptation!
    That’s ok, apology accepted! 😆

RustySpanner

CountZero – Member

Damn you for leading me into temptation!

It’s your bloody fault in the first place!
    That Yobokies modded model of yours intrigued me enough to look at the Creation site. 🙂

billyboulders
    Free Member

Rusty, iirc 4r36 is essentially the same as the 7s26 movement but has the facility to hand wind and hack. There is no real difference in accuracy or build quality. Think of it as an “RLT” model fork compared to a basic “R” version.
    I would still choose the 007 over the Stargate, I prefer the dial and I can see the raised bit on the Stargates bezel at 12 o’clock getting knocked and moving the bezel or getting damaged more easily.
    The jury is out over “J” vs “K” versions, my personal experience is that the “J” ‘s are consistently better quality controlled, it’s rare to see any seiko watch that is not right but I have seen a few misaligned chapter rings, day/date wheels and bezels over the years but never on a “J” market watch. It’s hard to get a definitive answer even from Seiko themselves if they are better built, there is better quality control or if there is anything other than cosmetic differences. “J” ‘s are definitely assembled completely in Japan as they would not be able to be marked as “made in Japan” otherwise. Seiko also have factories in Malaysia and China so “K” watches could come from somewhere outside Japan. All the watches are built by robots and the robots all come from the same robot factory though 🙂

HTH – billyboulders, Jewellery, watch and clock manufacture, repairs and alterations since 1989 🙂

CountZero

Ok, fair enough, I accept full responsibility. 😉
    I hadn’t realised the 4R36 movement was handwind/hackable, makes it even more desirable, and I much prefer the face and hands style of the Stargate. Under normal circumstances, I doubt if the raised bit on the bezel would be that much of a liability, though I wonder if it would be possible to swap with a 007 bezel…
    Doesn’t really matter, I’m having very stern words with myself, trying not to succumb to clicking the buy button on that web site.

sweepy
    Free Member

I wish I’d known two weeks ago that automatics are no good for biking. I only bought it to save looking at my phone when out riding and couldn’t be arsed changing a battery. Thank Jebus I never got an expensive one.

chewkw
    Free Member

This is mine.

2008 SRP011K1

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some of the Seiko’s seem to have more bezel than watch face!

I was tempted with a Seiko but managed to get a Citizen NY2300 in black for $70 with a black divers band and it’s a lovely watch. My only niggle is the lume is really poor compared to Seiko’s. Having said that I have a tritium illuminated Luminox for night shifts.

Looking at watches on forums is a sure fire way of spending cash. My eBay “watch” list literally has more watches on there than anything else. I’ve got 8 watches so far and saving the pennies for a Bell & Ross BR1. Not to everyone’s taste but I love them.

hora
    Free Member

I like the Seiko Automatic Divers SKX007K2 Men’s Watch

Is Creationwatches ok/safe to shop on?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Ordered my SKX007 from Creation last Monday and it arrived on Thursday, really pleased with it. Found out after loads of research that it is EXACTLY the same as the SKXOO7J, The same 21 jewelled movement but without stating it on the dial, and £40 cheaper. Wasnt too sure about the rubber strap, but have foung that is compliments the watch well and its actually pretty comfortable to wear.

Pretty good bargain at a touch under £118

billyboulders
    Free Member

Hora, Creation are legit. The watches are genuine although grey market so no Seiko warranty, Creation do give their own 2 year warranty, longer than Seiko’s own 12 month one. Payment is by PayPal so you’re covered there. Amazingly fast delivery from Singapore via DHL too with tracking info every step of the way. The prices do not include UK duties or VAT though. Creation are, er…creative with what they write on the customs sticker but there is no guarantee you wont have to pay duties and handling charges. The best UK online source is probably Yorkshire watches as craigxxl linked to. Taking taxes into account the prices are about as good as Creation.

I still like the 007 better Rusty. Both nice watches but the Stargate just looks too “busy” to me 🙂 Hand winding and hacking are nice to have but not a deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. Seiko automatics are generally good straight out of the box or are easily regulated so they never gain/lose at the minute hand. Stopping the second hand to set from a reliable time source is all well and good but you won’t get quartz accuracy from any mechanical watch so the second hand will drift out of sync over time any way. Hand winding is probably more useful especially if the watch is not worn daily. Seiko autos have a reserve of ~40 hours though and with a screw down crown you ideally should take the watch off to wind it to avoid damaging the winder stem. Taking the watch off and unscrewing the crown is probably enough rotor movement to give you a few hours of automatic winding anyway.

Countzero – I have just measured a Stargate and a 007 bezel and it looks like they may well be interchangable so you may be on to something there 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Cheers billyboulders 😀

billyboulders
    Free Member

No worries Hora.

Countzero, if you do get a Stargate and want to sell your Spork my email is in my profile 😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

Bad news CountZero -have tried it this morning 007 bezel wont fit on a Stargate, it’s a couple of mm too small 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Seiko fans – help, which diver?’ is closed to new replies.