Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sehd secutity
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

I've recently purchased a new shed, not from b and q, but a decent one with heavy duty framing and 21mm loglap pannelling. However the hinges are just screwed to the door. So if Mr/Mrs Thief arrives all they need to do is unscrew the hinges and the door falls off, even if it's locked at the other side!!

Surely shed manufacturers should be realising this? I've now removed the screws and replaced them with bolts, but shoulddn't this be done at manufacture?

Also what do people use to secure their bikes within sheds? Unfortunately I can't have a ground anchor, has anybody used

http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

And since the anchor is only as good as the chain that's within it, have you got any recommendations for chains? The last one I nbought was £20 from halfords, are there an good quality ones I should be looking at?

I've got a £100 worth of padlock on the door!!

Thanks

Matthew

carlos
    Free Member

Why can't you have a ground anchor??

matthewmountain
    Free Member

No ground anchor becasue The shed sits on heavy duty timber cross beams on a lawn.!!

Apologies for the typo in the title!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

Wooden sheds are not a security control.

When I had one, I concreted an old weightlifting bar underneath the shed then looped a motorbike chain round it through a hole in the floor. Not brilliant but probably good enough to stop kids, or at least satisfy the insurance people.

I always left one bike running free in the shed too, that way if a smackhead or kid did break in, they'd hopefully just grab that and run leaving the nice bikes locked up.

Luckily I never had to find out if this worked or not.

MrTall
    Free Member

A lot of people just use an old bucket filled with concrete and chicken wire with an old U section of a D lock sticking out the top to put a chain through. Not anchored to the ground but an effective deterrent as it'd be damn hard to carry it away on it's own, let alone with a bike attached.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey matthew how did you get the coach bolts through the hinges on the door? i assume you just drilled the holes wider in the door hinge to allow for the wider coach bolts? or is there a hinge with bigger holes already drilled?? ive no need for it but a mate was asking the other day, and i didnt reallly no what the answer was, i said i assumed you will just need to drill the hinge holes with a metal piece of drill kit to accomodate the larger width of the coach bolt over a wood screw…

iain1775
    Free Member

I have one
    Seems really solid, have it bolted through the upright on the shed and nothing would remove it short of pulling down the shed
    Piece of P*ss to install – just make sure you get it at right height and you have a chain long enough
    Instructions indicate installing under a window so you can put the horizontal cross brace at the window level – I wouldnt then thieves can see you pride and joy. Mine is at opp corner of shed so someone looking through window cant see the bikes
    Tidy job from the outside too, domed bolt heads countersink into the soft shed timber, I just creosoted over them when I did the shed and you would have to look hard to notice anything

I sent details to my insurance company and they where happy that it satisfyed their 'must be locked to immovable object' criteria for bikes stored in outbuildings

Fortunately it has not been tested in anger yet though

Is combined with a rape alarm rigged up to the shed door and 3 padlocks on the door
    Of course a determined thief will get through pretty much anything but I would hope this delayed them long enough to put them off

Think there is a review and article on shed security on BikeRadar

project
    Free Member

Mathew just email me and i will send you an email about shed security advice based on experience.
    Email in my profile.

carlos
    Free Member

Oh, can you not cut a neat hole in the shed floor approx where you are going to lock the bikes up, dig out the earth, fill level with floor using concrete and either mount a ground anchor to that or as mentioned set an old D-lock or similar into it before pouring? It's dead easy to do and would only take an hr or so.

Chicken wire wrapped round the inside then 18mm or 22mm chipboard/Ply fixed to main frame to sandwich the chicken wire, Screw the roof down. Don't skimp on the chain and padlock for the bikes. Yale do a padlock with a built in alarm (as a secondary lock)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Chains:

http://www.torc-anchors.com/proddetail.php?prod=Protector16-x.x

I got one of these. Hard as nails, but if they brought an angle grinder and diamond disc with them, even that wouldn't last long.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Too much outwardly visible security just makes it a target IMO! Better to leave it looking fairly inconspicuous and go to town securing internally.

carlos
    Free Member

Coffeeking – Agreed. A good hasp & staple, decent padlock and a couple of coach bolts through the hinges on both the door and frame are more than enough externally.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Didzy2009

Yep, your right I have just drilled out the hinge holes to make them slightly wider, about 8.5MM i think. Then 6mm bolts through and a piece of packing timber on the other side to give the washer and nut something to bite!!

Thanks for all the info.

Thanks

Matthew

giant_scum
    Free Member

If you are putting an alarm in the shed, I put a socket box with a couple of banana pin sockets in it then from them a length of cable with banana plugs on the ends. Bikes get moved plug comes out all hell breaks loose!
    What about a chain secured onto the wood that the shed is sitting on.

takisawa2

What about a scaffold pole skewered through the shed, & padlocked through each end…

Contact a local mobile welder, he should be able to weld something suitably big/heavy in situ with a some old scrap steels. That, & some hefty chains, should be enough. And an alarm maybe ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sehd secutity’ is closed to new replies.