Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Seeing Santa in Lapland
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Thinking about taking the kids to see Santa in Lapland next year while child one still believes and child 2 is old enough to register what’s happening. My thoughts are to stay at least 1 night as the day trips would prob be a bit much for them.

A friend of mine went many years ago and said it was magical…elves and reindeer waiting at the airport and (nice, before anyone says) things going on in the woods during the bus journey in, that type of thing.

Any tips and/or recommendations of where to go and firms to use?

Cheers in advance

PL

Tracey

We took our girls when they were younger.

Used these http://canterbury-travel.com/ and they were first class

Its not cheap but well worth it

molgrips
    Free Member

Stay longer than a day. Lapland is fab even without Santa 🙂

MrSparkle

Terrahawk has been a couple of times. Have a word with him.

br
    Free Member

If they still believe, £5 spent at the local shopping centre Grotto will do the job, so only go if its you/partner that want the experience.

seanoc
    Free Member

Can’t recommend a week in Levi enough. The mince stew is amazing.

Seriously, there’s at least a week of things to do there. The skiing, sledging is great for kids although at ~-30 it can get a bit nippy. To far, in my opinion, not to make it into a holiday. But then, that’s only my personal economical viewpoint.

I watched a series on TV last year about a chartered excursion and, to be honest, I’d rather glue my arse shut than pay for some chav weekend like that. Head out there, pop to a tourist info place and book done magic rather than follow the mob.

molgrips
    Free Member

Going for a walk in deserted snowy twilight forest will be the most fantastically Christmassy thing you could do, imo 🙂 Fantastic..

njee20
    Free Member

We did it for a day trip (on Xmas day) many years ago, think I was about 11. Was great – snowmobile rides, reindeer sleigh etc. Dead good.

terrahawk
    Free Member

we’ve taken the kids a couple of times in the past. Flew to Rovaniemi and then got on a bus that took us out into the middle of nowhere, eventually arriving at Santa Land ™.
    It’s pretty good. there’s a bar made out of ice and they serve vodka.
    the kids properly shite themselves when they see the ‘real’ Santa 😉

withersea
    Free Member

Levi is fantastic, one or two day trips are stupidly expensive. Go for a week after Xmas and tell the kids they are seeing Santa having a rest after Xmas.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Oh this is so something on my list of stuff for the munchkins! The eldest is not two yet though, and the youngest is only a couple of months… so I think I will leave it for at least a couple more years yet 😉

Helios
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from there. Not seeing Santa onviously as I’m 29 and don’t have any children…. I was at a meeting. I’d probably visit just to see the Northern Lights again. Absolutely stunning. And I have to say that flying through Helsinki and on to the north was a breeze given how short the connections were.

molgrips
    Free Member

I will never go to Lapland to see Santa. I will however definitely go some day to walk or ski through snowy forests.. mmm…

MoreCashThanDash

Depends very much on the kids – we went two years ago when they were 7 and 4.

My advice would be to avoid doing a one day budget special – we live 30 minutes from the airport but we were up at 4am and back home at 1am, and we were knackered.

At this time of year it is very dark up there – we landed about noon local time and the sun was just setting, so by the time we got to the bit where Santa was it was pitch black, and remained like that forthe rest of the day. The dark certainly spooked the little one.

It can also get very cold – they give you the kit, but it was -28 when we were there at the end of December, and even the locals were saying it was colder than normal. When we arrived back in the UK it was a positively balmy -6!

I would also point out that the weather can be grim as well – absolutely no problems up in Lapland, but we flew the day Heathrow and the rest of teh UKs airports were shut when the planes froze to the tarmac – luckily for us East Midlands was the only airport open in the country but they were struggling to fit us all in, which delayed our departure and landing coming back

It’s a great trip, but if we were doing it again we’d spread it over two days, and go earlier in the winter so there was more daylight

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Seeing Santa in Lapland’ is closed to new replies.