Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 205 total)
  • Seeing damage being done by riders
  • monksie
    Free Member

I’m back from my ride. That was a ride of two seasons! Complete fog and drizzle fest. on Whinstone Lee Tor and then lovely sunshine at Yorkshire Bridge.
    I came home on the road because I was goosed. Specialized Storm Control tyres are rubbish for road riding.
    Oh yes, my point. Some of the ruts on that track up to Whinstone Lee Tor are trenches! As I was climbing up fron Ladybower Wood, I must confess to taking the climbing line which is probably not what The Self Appointed Keeper of the Peak wants to hear. Sorry.
    I enjoyed myself though.
    I came down along the track directly off the top. It was a portage stage close to the top but then was great after that following the telegraph poles down to the road.

Popocatapetl

I rode up WLT yesterday afternoon while you were all hard at work and stuck to the Limestone. i fell off twice on the way up but it was great fun. can i have a medal please 😀

Pook

Self appointed keeper of the peak? That could logically be anyone advocating a bit of responsibility on the trails on this thread

Glad you enjoyed your ride.

Pook

Adey, you can have half a snickers. Will that do?

aidancaptainslow
    Free Member

whatever you do don’t metion the word GAY or SPDs or there’ll be war … 😀

jeepers i thought i was on bikeradars forum of hate.

will
    Free Member

Eh Chris, why not just take up road riding? No trail erosion issues there to worry about 😉

Pook

Would I have to dress like you? And not be able to handle my ale? 😉

will
    Free Member

😆 I’m afraid so yes, on both points…

starrman82
    Free Member

Do you think people moaned about this 100’s of years ago when some of the ancient roads were first established.
    I’m not saying carve up the country side but we gotta live a :-)bit….

GW
    Free Member

think how smug and better than everyone else we could all act if we fixed some of that damage? that must appeal to the stw massive!

At last, a sensible reply.. if the rest of you are so up in arms about people riding where you deem damaging, do something about it.. I repair and re-route local trails when needed to keep them running smoothly.. how many of you do the same?

/but….

IMO+E, some of the best and fastest riders out there leave very little trace, yet still contribute to access rights and trail maintenance. there seem to be a lot of ‘wannabes’ who think its more about looking fast and ragged rather than actually riding fast and smooth. they seem so keen on projecting this rad image of themselves that they will not only ride like a twonk but then come and here and post like a twonk in the deluded hope that everyone else will think they are cool and hardcore because they dont care about anything other than being sick and rad, dude.

Can you define riding like a twonk? getting ragged can be a hell of a lot of fun.. why ride your bike like a bimbling old man when you’re still young enough not to have to?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s not really about biking (although needless skidding is annoying). There is a conflict between leisure-use and conservation. Any land that is popular with visitors (walking, biking, riding) will experience erosion pressure on the trails. How much depends of terrain/soil type and its popularity. At some point, bits of the trail network start to look ugly.

A couple of points:

* Trails make up a small proportion of the land, but it’s the bit YOU see. Butterflies, ponies, badgers etc, don’t see the uglyness.

* Historically, in many NPs, significant erosion caused by walkers has been addressed by selective routing, repairs and armoring (varying quality).

Erosion on the Mendip, around Black Down, is becoming an issue – a victim of its popularity with all types of trail user, and a lack of bridleways outwith. I put it to the rangers that they should agree a programme of trail repairs on the worst affected segments. They already track these, but so far have not undertaken repairs. I suggested that local bikers like myself would make time to provide some labour if it were requested – to put something back.

Let’s not beat ourselves up for enjoying our sport. Let’s do some positive to conserve the trails we enjoy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Trails are there to be ridden, life’s too short. Too much twaddle being talked about mending trails. Little bit of erosion? Just natures way of improving the trail.

Northwind

Pawsy_Bear – Member

Little bit of erosion? Just natures way of improving the trail.

Er, except a lot of the time it doesn’t improve it. Just from a pure self interest point of view, making trails less fun to ride is a bad idea.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Can we insist on walkers leaving their Vibram soled boots & walking poles in the car park as well, both of these cause erosion.

joat

WLT is a great example of erosion, but I challenge anyone to show me the correct line marked on the local council’s definitive map. If you try and stay down the middle eventually a soggy patch of peat will swollow your wheel whole.

Popocatapetl

I’d have settled for a Jelly baby Chris!

Pook

joat- so go on the hard bits

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

One cannot live a happy life wracked with guilt. If there is a problem lets help fix it.

joat

Pook- that IS what I do, I was trying to illustrate the point that however careful one is, BWs like this will offer multiple lines and inevitably widen. When riding at speed, which is what we all like to do, it is hard to calculate what is best for the trail in terms of long term durability. We are all guilty of damage by virtue of the fact we ride there. We can however negate some of the damage by riding lightly, e.g. not locking up or washing out existing puddles.

slowrider
    Free Member

100!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Little bit of erosion? Just natures way of improving the trail.

are you suggesting that ridding a bike is somehow nature doing something and that neither footpaths or bridleways are man made but are just facets of nature.poor point

Pook

joat – fair enough

antigee

from 14hrs ago on page 1

mansonsoul – Member
    Maybe access rights for cyclists should be opened up to reduce the concentration of riders on the trails, spreading the erosion out, thus reducing it?

The cut throat bridge to whinstone lee tor is a very good example of this problem – no complete alternative parallel to A57 – bridleways in S Yorks that are (not really) punishable by big fines when you cross into Derbyshire – too many cafes, carparks, guidebooks, mags and not a lot of places to go

my vote is all CROW land open access for non motorised, eroded tracks get the path remedial treatment and just use them to access other stuff and hope they get washed out if you want them to be fun

Pook

Open access is the key I think.

jonathan
    Free Member

Make a bike a “natural accompaniment”… job done.

Northwind

missingfrontallobe – Member

Can we insist on walkers leaving their Vibram soled boots & walking poles in the car park as well, both of these cause erosion.

No but you can hope they’ll remain on existing paths rather than widening them, cutting corners etc. Ask a national park ranger about walkers and horseists and they’ll say the exact same things we’re saying about cyclists- responsible access, accept that some erosion is inevitable but seek to reduce it.

Also you can insist they don’t skid.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am completely against all path wideners. Not sure why if you’ve gone mountain biking you’d avoid general trail features? Giant bogs and glacial ice flows yes, but rooty bits, puddles, slabs, drops and rocks???

In bad weather it can appear unsightly and in sensitive environments it risks access for all. But like all environmental harm most folks don’t give a hoot as long as they get their slice of the pie, or are just unaware of the consequences of their actions.

If motorcycles get banned from everywhere I suppose mtbs will be the next worst thing and then we’ll get a roasting!

slowrider
    Free Member

I saw pook ride round a puddle this weekend. Obviously not in the peak, it’s far too precious to him. 😛

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Maybe a percentage of the population should be sold into slavery and banned from MTBing. Another section could be sent to Australia and futher remnant to canada.

The test for selection should be based on your mtbiking ability with a special emphasise placed on your ability to ride the trail with out causing erosion.

Those who insisted on doing though stupid skids should be immediately executed and thoose who cause the least damage while still managing to be “Rad” should be raised to the level of gods and worshiped as such.

Would this help fix the problems ?

fergal
    Free Member

It’s all a matter of aesthetics, yes eroded wide paths are ugly, but they serve a purpose, getting from A to B . The impact on the real environment is negligible, a lot of middle class do gooders with to much time on there hands whinging, how about adressing the real issues such as global warming, over population and dwindling resources!?? how do you like them apples middle England, besides riding bycycles in the glopp just ain’t fun, so be responsible and try to cause less damage.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Personally I think Buzzlight years answer above is the only sensible one really and I agree with fergal.

I think alot of the differences in opinion come from differences in opinion of what the problem is. Also there are differences in the terrain we all ride. I think we need to state what we think is the problem before we all give our answers.

Where : I ride in South/Midlands in forested areas where I know the vegetation can grow back fairly quickly.

What I think is the problem :
    1. The fact that MTBing allows people to cover a much larger area than they just can walking so they have a greater effect on biodiversity and “wild” life.
    2. The possibility that building trails cuts across wildlife channels, limiting the movement of certain species.
    3. Destruction of brambles (I have definitely been guilty of this) which small animals love.
    4. Destruction of animal habit by building in “bomb hole type areas”
    Often Rabbits/Badger etc love to build sets in these bomb hole type areas but they are also great for MTBing.

What I dont think problem for nature/overall :
    1. The trail looking a mess/becoming a bog
    2. The trails getting sanitised
    3. Trails widening
    (I dont think these “eyesores really effect the wildlife”)

What I do think is a problem for the people who put time into building trails and then have to spend time fixing these issue :
    1. The trail looking a mess/becoming a bog
    2. Trails widening

As you can see the last two sections are contradictory. Frankly If I were to skid all the way round swinley destroying and widening the trails I dont think it would be much of a problem for the countryside. (But I appreciate it would be for the people who put the time into building/maintaining the trails)

Where as when I’ve gone riding on my own late in the evening or esp. night riding and I’ve encountered badgers/deers etc.. and scared and startled them (although I appreciate the wildlife/nature) I’m probably doing more damage than riding recklessly during the day. The badger or whatever will now not want to cross that path and it will reduce the genetic diversity of the species or whatever.

If someone said every MTBer in the southeast could only ride in swinley forest, we’d totally destroy swinley but it would actually be better for wildlife/the countryside overall as all the other areas would be quite.

Obviously Im not saying we do that. Im saying the real problem is what the overall number of MTBers is having on the countryside as a whole. Not whether BKB is now boring to ride because some people ride in a straight line or whether one of the tracks at swinely is now as wide as a road.

To be honest going MTB in the countryside is selfish as is building roads houses killing an animal for food etc

philconsequence
    Free Member

scu98rkr, well thought out, calm and measured responses are not welcome on STW dammit.

BAN PEOPLE FROM NATURE!!!!

GEDA
    Free Member

This thread has just the same issues as the one on biking over the Cairngorm. Upland areas do not “heal” well and peat is not so good for riding over in the wet. Up on the border ridge in Northumberland they laid a load of slabs and it is so much better than how it was when I first started biking.

The only problem is that bridleways are turned into big tracks when they are “fixed”. I don’t mind the repairs done to Cuttgate though.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah Geda, footpaths have just become stone highways so the smug middle classes don’t have to get dirty, up on Windy Gyle at the weekend on those very slabs, Usway burn still a peach.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“so far have not undertaken repairs.”

Mendip Development: Some new signs on the main trail over Black Down to the trig – no horses or bikes – enforcing that this very established trail is not actually a bridleway. I can’t see anyone paying any attention though.

Also, a lot of material in bags up at the trig point, and it looks like the trig itself has been paved, so maybe repairs are now underway?

almightydutch
    Free Member

So am I a bad person when I follow some deer runs through Cannock Chase?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Your a bad person when you breath in air that could be used by some other living thing never mind going MTB

philconsequence
    Free Member

thats the spirit scu!!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

cheers ! really pleased I’ve got it at last 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Buzz, The AONB recently failed to get lottery grant funding for repairs on the basis that Blackdown is privately owned.

Therefore, its pretty unlikely we’re going to see any substantive repairs any time in the short to mid term.

The trig is actually sited on an ancient barrow that has seen substantial erosion as visitors gain the high ground, so they’ve stone pitched it to prevent further damage to the archeology.

According to the AONB/Blackdown Advisory Group minutes, the signage is to help people stay to legitimate rights of way and out of ecologically sensitive areas and protect vulnerale areas of the ancient monument (of which, the entire blackdown area is one) How they think this is going to do anything other than concentrate use and increase erosion in those areas I’m not sure.

Theres a reference to discouraging events that aren’t in keeping with the use of the Mendips too, so looking forward, there may be a stern disapproving approach to mtb trails I’d guess. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘Seeing damage being done by riders’ is closed to new replies.