Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • See? You CAN ride everything on a hardtail. If you're brilliant.
  • timnwild

vid

RealMan
    Free Member

On a similar note

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7TyakE8qw[/video]

binners

I’m out on my hardtail tonight, and I should imagine I will be riding it with similar silky smooth finesse. Yes… pretty much exactly like that. Possibly

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Excellent stuff binners, I’ll bring my video camera along tonight then shall I?

binners

Well it might be a nice little earner. How much do they pay per clip on You’ve Been Framed?

titusrider
    Free Member

nice pinkbike vid

it is a shame it looks wierd to be watching a hardtail in those vids, should be more hardtails in the MTB film stuff generally

nick1962
    Free Member

I don’t doubt they are brilliant riders and make it look effortless but I didn’t see anything too taxing in the first vid for any capable hardtail rider.

Northwind

I was thinking that… I mean, I’d be slower and more cowardly obviously, and far less interesting to watch but unless the camera lies, there’s nothing in there I wouldn’t happily ride on my hardtail.

binners

I suspect there would be slightly more tree/bike interface scenes in my version of that

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’m not seeing anything in there that’s more difficult than say Inners, Dalbeattie or Kirroughtree tourist routes. It’s a nice trail, but not out of this world in terms of difficulty.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

It’s pretty, but that video is doing my head in. Why do they have to cut shots every second or so?

ski
    Free Member

binners – Member

I suspect there would be slightly more tree/bike interface scenes in my version of that

That’s what I was thinking too 😉

deus

Reminds me of riding there on my Global hardtail with Shiver SC’s back in the day.

Rode Rose Hill in Kamloops on it too, before they flattened it. And a lot of the ‘Shore too.

The only differences are the fact you’ll ride it faster on a full sus and that you need to take more breaks as you get beaten up a lot more (oh and you might not send it quite so far on the hardtail either, although maybe that was just me).

LoCo
    Free Member

Film does tend to flatten and make things look smaller, so I’m guessing that the trails are, in reality probably it little more technical than they appear 😉

grum
    Free Member

See? You CAN ride everything on a hardtail.

Where did anyone say that you couldn’t btw?

mt
    Free Member

Binners I presume your handle bars will be red, folks could get the wrong idea.

walleater

I’m not seeing anything in there that’s more difficult than say Inners, Dalbeattie or Kirroughtree tourist routes. It’s a nice trail, but not out of this world in terms of difficulty.

TROLOLOLOLOL….

This explains why so many Brits go to Whistler to ride ‘XC’ every year, only to take their bikes on four hour walks for two weeks 😆

deus

4 hour walks, surely that’s what chairlifts are for?

oh the XC trails, some of them are proper hardcore. and brilliant.

walleater

Two hours walking up…..and then two hours walking down.

I wish I was joking! I was an XC guide in 2007. People watch vids like this, think it looks easy and fun so come over.

postierich
    Free Member

I wish I was joking! I was an XC guide in 2007

You got a proper job yet? 😉

Northwind

walleater – Member

People watch vids like this, think it looks easy and fun so come over.

I don’t think it looks that easy, but I’m comfortable I could do it. Is that allowed ? 😉 There’s a lot of stuff over there that I wouldn’t say that of.

tomd
    Free Member

I enjoyed the vid, nice riding. I think the video did flatten stuff out, and also some of the stuff that looked effortless at speed would have been tricky / unridable going slow.

walleater

You got a proper job yet?

There’s no need to rush these things is there? 😉

messiah
    Free Member

I enjoyed watching that.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Another vid of the same guy:
    [video]http://vimeo.com/17304188[/video]

_tom_
    Free Member

Awesome video and watching those guys ride always makes me wonder why I’m bothering riding a full sus haha. I remember following Jinya down Dirt Merchant last year and just couldn’t keep up on my Bullit despite all the braking bumps. He has serious skills.

And yes the valley trails are a lot harder than they look in videos.

chiefgrooveguru

Indeed you can but I bet those trails are steep enough to scare me a fair bit even if I could get down them inelegantly… Jinya is awesome, I can’t count the number of times I’ve watched “Hardtail at Whistler” (although it doesn’t look as improbably amazing as it used to, so I must be getting faster!)

tpbiker
    Free Member

My mate took his bog standard Rockhopper to morzine with us, and did all the runs we did including the blacks. Granted he was pretty slow, but not that slow and he still made it down!

Given hes only been riding for a year I was impressed

Even more impressively, I was staggered that the bike actually held up, other than a disintgrating wheel half way down the canyon in les getz..

jameso

Thanks for posting that.. great vid. That guy has skills. A bit like watching Kranked 2 all over again – it looks do-able but in reality it’s only cos he’s riding so damn well. The second vid realman posted, you can see how exact he is with his lines. Knows the run backwards. I’d be bounced off-line and off the track in no time )

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

nice vids and trails. HT riding looks a lot more rad and stylish to my eyes.

GEDA
    Free Member

This film is a bit home video of some Danish xc lads but at 3mins they are doing some pretty big gaps and jumps with saddle well, xc styles. Most stuff I try to tell myself is all in the mind, unfortunately my mind is too old a worried ..[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc8aLS4uKa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Both vids overshadowed for me by the decision to replace the sounds of the trail with muzaac a la Top Gear. Shame.

deviant
    Free Member

Love those videos, the Hardtail In Whistler is a classic and a good riposte to people who say long forked hardtails arent good for anything….they are fun bikes, pure and simple….they’ll never be as fast across country as a dedicated XC bike and they’ll never be as fast downhill as a FS-DH machine but they are simple easy to maintain and loads of fun, surely thats what its about?

AlexSimon

Enjoyed the first vid very much:

LoCo – Member

Film does tend to flatten and make things look smaller, so I’m guessing that the trails are, in reality probably it little more technical than they appear

+1
    Some of the speed over obstacles and into corners was double your average decent rider speed. Admittedly they probably sessioned the same bits again and again, but still. Looking good on video takes a lot of skill full stop.

GW
    Free Member

Love those videos, the Hardtail In Whistler is a classic and a good riposte to people who say long forked hardtails arent good for anything….they are fun bikes, pure and simple….they’ll never be as fast across country as a dedicated XC bike and they’ll never be as fast downhill as a FS-DH machine

Long forks on hardtails are gash

add “never flow, turn, pump or jump as well as a short travel 4X/DJ hardtail” to your list too.

MrAgreeable

9, Tell us about your bike/s?
    Chromag prototype frame with Rockshox lyrik soloair lowered to 150mm

That’s a long fork.

http://www.hardtailnation.co.uk/2010/12/who-are-you-13/

Edit: And here he is riding his long-forked hardtail.

alex222
    Free Member

Long forks on hardtails are gash

This

Tom-B
    Free Member

The vid of the danish xc guys is mental!

frepster
    Free Member

HaHaHa at all the STW dads that reckon that they could ride those particular trails in Whistler and Pemberton on a hardtail. There are a couple of big committment lines in there that they make look easy. Ive not ridden with Jinya but I have ridden with Phelps and he is a real animal with mad skills, if he is riding that trail its going to be the gnarliest line around. He use to race Psychosis DH in Golden every year on his hardtail, check out the videos of how steep that is.

alpin
    Free Member

I don’t doubt they are brilliant riders and make it look effortless but I didn’t see anything too taxing in the first vid for any capable hardtail rider.

+1

GW, be quiet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘See? You CAN ride everything on a hardtail. If you're brilliant.’ is closed to new replies.