Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • See what happens when you think you're just passing the time of day –
  • Royston
    Free Member

So I popped into my LBS this afternoon with my son just for a browse and discover they have a 2013 Scott CR1 full Ultegra (apart from the wheels which are Syncros RP1.5 clinchers at 1530g) on sale for NZ$2500 instead of NZ$4800.
    http://www.avantiplus.co.nz/products/sc500a311/title/scott-cr1-pro#10

Now I don’t really need a new road bike, I have a perfectly servicable Trek SLR 1500 from around 2005 that I picked up second hand a few years ago to put my foot in the road riding water, but this bike really took my fancy. I think it looks great! and it’s so light! I’ve never had a fully carbon bike before. A bit of googling since I got home tells me it’s not a bad bit of kit (apart from the saddle which no one has liked)
    Now it’s a bike I couldn’t realistically consider at full price so the pricing is a big draw, that and the fact that I’m now quite taken with riding on the road and collecting lots of Km’s in the legs for fitness.
    So two questions current bike is a standard chainset not compact like this one but what does that actually mean more ‘easier’ gears to go into on the climbs or less? or more ‘firmer’ gears to push downhill? (I generally stay in the big ring (52) on the current bike (11-25) unless things get pretty steep
    and what are the syncros wheels like? (I currently have Mavic Ksyrium’s) initial searches indicate they’re ok!
    Anyone have this model?
    Advice & experience welcome

Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Smaller chainrings. Standard is conventionally 53/39 (although yours is obvious a 52), compact is generally 50/34 or 36.

They’re good frames, get accused of being a harsh ride for something marketed as a ‘sportive’ type bike, but it’ll be days and nights nicer than your 1500.

househusband

Nice! I’m just about to go out on my 105 version of the same bike; I got an upgraded wheelset from standard for that spec – Mavic Cosmic.

oldnpastit

I rented one of these last year. Really liked it, stiffer than my Giant TCR but not in a bad way, just different. I think I’d be pretty happy with one of these. The saddle was fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘See what happens when you think you're just passing the time of day –’ is closed to new replies.