Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • See – it's not just bikes that some drivers don't "see"
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How could they not accept incontrovertible video evidence? In any case, the Police clearly are interested in it so that’s something at least.

GrahamS

Because they can’t be arsed looking at it and it is much easier for them to just call it a knock-for-knock 50/50 claim.

bedmaker

Glad the Police are doing something about this idiot.

I use that junction regularly. What you can’t see from the vid is that the visibility to the truck driver’s right is poorer than it is to the left. The road falls away to the right in a sort of long dip, obscuring cars approaching.

Even with the added height from a lorry cab, there’s no way anyone should be wheeling out of that junction like that unless in the middle of the night hen the road is quiet and you can see lights approaching.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Not trying to defend his actions, but as an HGV Class 1 licence holder myself It’s reasonably easy to see the errors he made. Rolled up to the junction too fast while trying not to lose too much momentum, quick look right and left, all clear, pull out onto the road.

I’ve done a similar thing but at a much slower speed in a 30mph limit. Just started pulling out when a council lorry shot past the windscreen. When I’d looked left, he was completely hidden behind the “A” pillar and the left hand mirrors. I braked hard and stopped well before the centre line but it certainly got the old heart pounding.

Modern trucks now have about 6 different mirrors to look in, which by the time you’ve done that(properly) and looked where you want to go etc, quite a bit of time has elapsed, with a potential change in the situation occurring in the meantime. In town/city driving you end-up prioritising the mirrors most likely to be pointing in the area of highest risk.

You really do need to keep checking left as you start to pull across a junction. If you look at this link to the incident site Stacked Signs and imagine you are the truck driver sitting a bit higher, the stack of signs also block the view of the road to the left.

I really don’t see that the driver intended to “bully his way” out of the junction, but he seriously misjudged the situation in his attempts to “make progress”.

molgrips
    Free Member

The sooner all our cars are (anonymously) tracked and monitored, the better. The lorry would’ve been forced to stop cos ‘the system’ would’ve known there was a car coming…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The sooner all our cars are (anonymously) tracked and monitored, the better. The lorry would’ve been forced to stop cos ‘the system’ would’ve known there was a car coming…

The problem is there’ll always be older cars without it. Then in 10 years time everyone in an 11 year old car will be killed as the system reaches critical mass and people stop looking for themselves.

I do agree in principal though that all cars should come with all (external, if you want a car without airbags thats a personal choice)saftey related stuff as standard. There’s a principal in the oil industry called ALARP (as low as reasnobly practical) simplified, it means that not only does a system have to be demonstrated to kill someone less frequently than every 1000* years, but above that you have to show that any other available technology or options aren’t cost effective based on a ‘cost’ of $1million of killing someone, so a $500 option that has a 1in2000 or greater chance of saving a life would become best practice and therefore mandatory.

*that’s not a random figure, statisticaly 10x safer than driving a car which is deemed to be the riskiest thing a reasnoble person will do

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

This looks like the one…………Check the size of the mirrors and the blind spot created with the “A” post of the cab.

aracer
    Free Member

Which supports the point that whether or not 60 is illegal for his van is kind of irrelevant.

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem is there’ll always be older cars without it

Satellite imagery.

sobriety
    Free Member

There’s a principal in the oil industry called ALARP (as low as reasnobly practical)

I’ve told you before, it really meeans ‘As Little As Regulator Permits’ 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’d be interested to hear if anyone’s had dash-cam video accepted by their insurance Co. in support of a claim. I did read somewhere that Aviva stated they wouldn’t accept such. But then I wouldn’t personally use Aviva for other reasons.”

admiral wouldnt accept the footage from a bus company showing a corsa driving into my car and ramming me into a bus.

corsa claimed i drove into her (which to do id have to have strafed side ways) and admiral went with her story (she was also admiral)

More so – i had similar to the OP happen to me this morning except with a KIA sportage.

See him rolling up to the junction – he looks at me coming towards him at 40 , then pulls out , cue 4 wheel lock up , close inspection of his chassis number and the horn on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Though, as the guy who actually posted the video said, given that it is a known “blackspot” what they really need to do is look at why the layout of that junction encourages people to behave that way.”

i know the road up there well, mrs TR used to work in invergordon school , its a long fairly straight with a crossroads into it from both sides

its a black spot because its a nice wide road with good sight lines along it (and poor visibility of the side roads, Although signposted heavily and road marked), folks feel they can do 100+ along it….. based on the number of folks that would overtake me like i was standing still when i was doing 60……

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

This issue about vans/car speed limits is an issue that has consumed people for decades and its fuelled by suggestion, misstruths and personal experience.

After 16yrs in the motor trade (including VW selling T4 & T5 kombis) I know what the rules are. Its pretty simple unless STW’s get involved and try to screw with it.

1) A LGV (Light goods vehicle) vehicle is subject to speed limits as covered hundreds of times. 50/60/70 etc etc. It is not subject (at present) to immissions related road licence, rather it is based on either its GVW (Gross vehicle weight) of 3.5t and below and then higher catagories which can then take into axle configuration etc. Can you believe a 5t Sprinter is cheaper to licence than a 3.5t Sprinter? There are certain exemptions from the above which are usually ambulances, motorhomes and car derived vans. A VW caddy, citreon berlingo, Renault kangoo is not a car derived van. They are VANs and registered as such. Putting a set of windows in the back and a set of seats in the back does not turn them into cars and higher speed limits unless you go through the process of reclassing them and I have never seen anyone go through the hastle.

Now the popular misunderstanding has arisen because VW (The popular vehicle on STW) had a period where the vehicles were registered either as cars or vans. There was a time where VW on the T4/T5 did issue docs for them in this way and they could be registered as either. If you had a late T4 with the dirty 2.5tdi engine and you wanted to tax it as a car you got the privaledge of paying about £500 to tax it which didn’t go down very well so they changed everything to LGV. Most customers preferred the lower road licence payment.

If you really want to find a car derived van which hasn’t got the lower speed limits you are looking at

Ford fiesta van
    Vauxhall corsa van
    etc etc

Cars with basically their back windows blanked and the rear seats removed.

Getting a Renault traffic and fitting seats and a couple of windows does not change a vehicles taxation class. It is still registered as a LGV and still subject to the laws/speed limits.

How do I know?

Well not all speed cameras are manned. They take a picture of your reg number and then work out the applicable speed limit to your vehicle. These cameras know the grand total of nothing about what has or hasn’t been done to your vehicle. Only how the vehicle was originally registered or how it has been altered in the case of a motorhome conversion and re register. That camera then sends you the ticket.

Convert your vehicles all you like. Unless you re register them and class them as a motorhome then I would like to see any proof of someone getting a ticket for doing 70 on a A road and only getting done for 10mph over the speed limit rather than the expected 20mph over.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh, and obviously there are car registered vehicles from Renault based on the Kangoo, Fiat based on the Doblo and all the other examples from VW, Mercedes etc etc. These are REGISTERED as cars and have all the legal requirements and type approvals for this.

We actually sell 2 identical vehicles in our range where one is registered as a car and one as a van. Regardless of the customers preference he can only do van speed limits in the one registered as a LGV

trail_rat
    Free Member

which is comical really as the 600L berlingo van is under 2tonne gross(1730kg and the 800L is 1930KG ) AND the M59 chassis is shared with the car in as much as that the footwells for the car are still under the rear load bed….

the m49 first gen might have been a van first but the m59 was released as a car and van at the same time 😉 chicken and egg bull shit from the vehicle licensing folk again.

the B9 model is derived from the C3 chassis.

that said ive treated mine as a car for the last 6 years and had no issue with police – only ever had to explain car derived > 2tonnes and show them the footwells under the load bed on one occasion for doing 70 on a dual carridgeway and they accepted it

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

And how do you explain that to an unmanned camera then?
    You may have treated it like a car for 6yrs and had incidents where you got away with it but if you drive that vehicle, registered as a LGV at 70mph on an A road through an unmanned camera then you will be done for doing 20mph over the limit, not 10mph.

The reason most people get away with it (I drove a similar vehicle for 5yrs and never got done either) is because they sit at 60mph and it doesn’t set off the unmanned cameras. I get about half a dozen calls a year from people doing exactly that and complaining.

hora
    Free Member

I almost bought a dashcam after being nearly being smudged out by a large lorry on the M60 through 50 average cams. It seems the cams didnt apply to him- so he came up behind me- flashed his lights on full beam, then swiftly undertook and then moved hard right broadsiding me- then he repeated the same move at least three more times ahead.

Either Godzilla was behind us or average cameras dont work on trucks.

Luckily I’m not easily spooked behind the wheel of a car- I just played it abit BTCC.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why would i go past a speed camera at over the car limit anyway ? Thats just darwinism at work. If you et caught speeding by a static cam in the uk you deserve everything you get. They aint exactly hidden

Surely the a9 average speeds cameras would pick up via plate recognition im an lgv and bill me accordingly for hoverig around the 70 mark on my gps so an indicated 78 – but just flowing with the traffic so i assume my speedos the one thats out seeing as its french.

Ive done the journey and few times and never been pinged.

Maybe you should email the scottish polce service and let them know.

geoffj

Satellite imagery.

In the UK 😆

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

As always a STW talks in personal experience and if it fits then that’s the law.

Surely the a9 average speeds cameras would pick up via plate recognition im an lgv and bill me accordingly for hoverig around the 70 mark on my gps so an indicated 78 – but just flowing with the traffic so i assume my speedos the one thats out seeing as its french

Look, if your vehicle is registered as a LGV then it is subject to LGV speed restrictions. I don’t give a flying flip what circumstance you got away with things. Maybe the cameras weren’t working. Maybe they had run out of film. Maybe they decided to let you off. I don’t really care. I don’t drive at all times to the speed limits but amazingly I have a clean licence.

Fact is a vehicle registered as a LGV is subject to the 50/60/70 limits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes i missed out the question mark but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out its a question rather than a statement of fact.

Do the average speed cameras not see your an LGV by plate recognition ???????? (its a question – i dont really want a speeding ticket next time i do the journey.)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I don’t know what the average speed cameras use to take your speed. But then average speed cameras are a temporary average speed for all vehicles. That’s not really the point. If a car was exceeding that speed they would also get the fine etc. The point is an LGV has a speed limit of 50/60/70 unless the points I raised are in force.

Getting away with it, mistakes and sheer luck don’t really come into it. When the question is asked, what speed limit is my vehicle capabale of, look at the V5, check how it is registered and there is your answer

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill check it when i go home , google foo says you would have to be unlucky to have an older sub 2000gvw blingo that isnt a car derived van as most manufacturers were belting them out on car derived log books – but to add further to the mix – folks with CDV on their log books HAVE been getting tickets for van speed limits….

aracer
    Free Member

I know we like to go off on tangents (I’m as guilty as anybody), but can I just point out that all this talk about van/car speed limits is totally irrelevant to the situation in the video.

Mr_C
    Free Member

hora – Member

I almost bought a dashcam after being nearly being smudged out by a large lorry on the M60 through 50 average cams. It seems the cams didnt apply to him- so he came up behind me- flashed his lights on full beam, then swiftly undertook and then moved hard right broadsiding me- then he repeated the same move at least three more times ahead.

So there was an empty lane to your left with a gap large enough for a lorry to pass you? 🙄

hora
    Free Member

The question is why didn’t the driver in the vid use his chaingun or missile pods that every car come (should) come armed with? 8)

mick_r

Apologies for going OT but something needs correcting:-

Littlesthobo

I suggest you research “Dual Purpose Vehicle”. A lot of what you describe (vans with seats) CAN have car speed limits.

And as it is a legal requirement that your V5 accurately reflects the build of the vehicle, it should be updated as such if those changes are made.

mark90
    Free Member

Things like number of seats can be changed but I don’t beleive the vehicle category can be changed as it’s related to the type approval. So an N1 ‘van’ will always be N1 and can’t be changed to an M1 passenger vehicle.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I am going to check some V5’s

hora
    Free Member

So there was an empty lane to your left with a gap large enough for a lorry to pass you?

Yup- two things

It was just before where two motorways merge onto the M60 in the form of double lanes at speed. Therefore if you can you move over (no legal requirement I agree).

Secondly- in average roadworks designed to protect workers I will not rigidly move to the left fullstop. If someone is in a rush I’d love to let them through and get their points but I’m not going to throw myself out of the way.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Still Checking

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have just checked a V5 for you.

A Vauxhall Corsa Van (11 plate)
    D.5 Body Type – Car Derived Van
    Taxation Class – Light Goods Vehicle

This vehicle will have the car speed limits.

I am going to have a look at the class’s listed on my 2014 Vito Dualiner and report back

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

5 seater factory fresh Vito Dualiner 2014

D.5 Body Type – Panel Van
    Taxation Class – LGV

Has anyone got a vehicle registered as a Dual Purpose vehicle with the taxation class of LGV?

mark90
    Free Member

For comparison my T5 factory kombi is…

D.5 Body Type = Van/Side Windows
    Taxation class = Diesel Car (yes I get hit with C02 emissions based VED)
    J Vehicle Category = M1

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Thanks Mark. So you can do car speeds etc as the vehicle is registered as a diesel car.

Actually been looking at the gov.uk site but I am bored now. Unless you have anything that states Car Derived then my advice stands. PLG – Car, LGV – Van

mark90
    Free Member

I think vehicle category and taxation class are the key points.

I think that all M1 will be PLG and C02 based (post 2001), N1 will be LVG.

My only problem is getting the jobsworths at the local council tip, sorry waste recycling facility, to agree it’s a car 😡

trail_rat
    Free Member

I had a look Both my partner van and berlingo multispace have car derived van under body type and the vans has taxation class as LGV the berlingos a multispace and is PLG for tax.

So the facts are still as clear as mud on that one. Your bigger vans fair enough they are all over the 2000gvw limit anyway.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Any of the van speed stuff apply to pick up trucks?

Specifically Nissan Navarro?

trail_rat
    Free Member

ope your good with em , they are dual purpose vehicles with clearly defined load space and passenger compartment.

Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘See – it's not just bikes that some drivers don't "see"’ is closed to new replies.