Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)
  • See – it's not just bikes that some drivers don't "see"
  • scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOBFvl8GWYI[/video]

sobriety
    Free Member

Fuuuuuuuuu…..

Suggsey
    Free Member

Well avoided and shows the benefits of modern car control systems………

jimjam
    Free Member

Butt puckering.

jimster01

Paul Kinell that was close.

Does beg the question though, why film yourself driving down a road?

wwaswas

disappointing lack of swearing.

nickjb
    Free Member

Doesn’t it actually answer the question? Would be handy for the insurance claim

globalti
    Free Member

Lucky it was a modern road with nice safe broad verges.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Does beg raise the question though, why film yourself driving down a road?

Surely the answer to the question is in the video?

jimjam
    Free Member

jimster01

If a plane crashes into a river in front of you, or you see a meteor landing you can sell the footage to news outlets and make a mint.

ton

I might be alone here, but I think any driving with such disregard for other people on the road, should be banned from driving for life.

GrahamS

Jeeebus. Lucky there wasn’t anything at the side of the road there.

The transporter doesn’t look like they are stopping and seems entirely oblivious to the fact that they very nearly killed someone.

Dashcams are increasingly common.

That footage would have been very useful in making an insurance claim or bringing charges against that transporter driver if it had been any closer!

Speshpaul

I really hope that the driver, took the trucks reg and reported incident to the police.

I hazard a guess that was more of a case of “i’m bigger than you deal with it ” than SMIDSY.

There is a HGV diversion local to me that means HGV’s have to turn right back on to the main A road. Probably twice a week i see traffic having to to give way to HGV’s who just seem to say **** it i’m turning.

Markie
    Free Member

Gordon Mackenzie that was close!

DezB
    Free Member

That footage would have been very useful in making an insurance claim or bringing charges against that transporter driver if it had been any closer!

Would’ve been much more exciting film with an actual crash at the end. *

*I’m joking!

Cougar

Christ.

Fair play to the driver for being so calm, I don’t think I’d have been mumbling swear words quietly to myself.

rickmeister

Hope thats not you Colin…

milky1980
    Free Member

😯 They should report that as it’s still classed as causing an accident even though they did not hit, especially has he had to leave the carriageway. Must have done some damage to the bumper or undertray at least!

I hazard a guess that was more of a case of “i’m bigger than you deal with it ” than SMIDSY.

We have two HGV drivers (out of 8 ) who drive with this attitude at work. They’ve become even worse since we had Telematics fitted (to apparently save money on fuel and stop accidents from inappropriate speed..), they will just drive straight out instead of having to brake and accelerate again. Saves them getting the mpg-hit and any marks for harsh braking/accelerating.

globalti
    Free Member

The camera car driver was a pussy – he should have just driven up the ramp and switched off to save fuel, had a sleep and then reversed off as the lorry reached its destination.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Wowzer that was close! Incredible that the car stayed pointing the right way (didn’t spin or slide) on the verge considering it was under heavy braking and the verge was wet and covered in icy/slush!
    Was the footage speeded up at all?

molgrips
    Free Member

This is why it’s a good idea to keep your speed down – you cannot trust other road users.

Incredible that the car stayed pointing the right way

As above – that’s due to modern driving aids that STW drivers think are ‘dangerous’ and ‘unneccesary’ and far beneath their amazing skillz.

Daffy

globalti – Member
    The camera car driver was a pussy – he should have just driven up the ramp and switched off to save fuel,

That’s exactly what I would’ve done in my Skoda Yeti. But why sleep when you can get all gnar on the back of the lorry with your rigid singlespeed?

GrahamS

Was the footage speeded up at all?

Not judging by the audio, no.

scotroutes

Not me. You’d have heard a string of expletives at the end if it had been!!

DezB
    Free Member

This is why it’s a good idea to keep your speed down

Yeah! Drive everywhere as if you going to have a crash! 25mph on ALL roads should be fine. That will ensure no-one ever pulls out on you too! 😆

GrahamS

Judging by the YouToob comments it sounds like a couple of media outlets are in touch so hopefully it will go viral enough to track down the driver and let them see how close they came to killing someone.

maxtorque

In my car i’d have been billing the haulage company from some new wheels and tyres for the nearside, as smashing them up the kerb/verge like that would have bent them to ****!

molgrips
    Free Member

Drive everywhere as if you going to have a crash!

Yep. That doesn’t mean 25mph though. You know, they put warning signs near junctions to warn you about exactly this eventuality. Does anyone actually pay attention to them?

It’s not clear from this vid a) how fast he is going or b) how early he reacts, however from his actions he does seem pretty switched on so b) is probably decent. He doesnt’ seem to slow down very fast though so either the road is very greasy, he’s on shite tyres or he’s going fast.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ve watched the video a few times and it appears to me that the car driver has seen the truck start to emerge from the junction and simply braked and pulled onto the verge to avoid a collision. No ABS, no harsh braking and no stability control kicking in. Would he have been better speeding up to avoid the incident – maybe.

Flaperon

Also shows why you should clear snow off your roof before setting off!

scotroutes

Braking earlier might have put him into the road signs on the left in this still

milky1980
    Free Member

Probably thought the HGV was pulling halfway out to tuck in behind after he’d passed. Pretty sure the slush was thrown up by him mounting the verge, not off his roof.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

scotroutes
    retro83
    Free Member

Holy moly. I was sweating on the drivers behalf.

piemonster

Aye Carumba

Although I’m not suprised by the HGV type in the slightest. Nearly been had off the Braemar road by them before.

kcal

I might have been swearing – at the end. Too serious and quick to swear at the time, if you’ve time to beep your horn it’s not close enough 🙂

On the slowing down bit, I guess it’s precautionary driving – not sure I’d have done it much earlier; I might do now (and after a similar incident many years ago when a Fiesta pulled out of minor road into my path; then stopped dead.. I reckoned that trying evasive action might have resulted in slide/skid so went straight on instead, into front of said Fiesta. It didn’t end well for the Fiesta (v. Saab 900) but all peeps were OK; sadly wrote off the 900 though.

molgrips
    Free Member

No ABS, no harsh braking and no stability control kicking in

The fact that he comes quickly to a stop with two wheels on soft mud without slewing or spinning tells me that the stability control DID kick in.

cranberry
    Free Member

The Telegraph have it too, so the truck driver can’t be a major advertiser with them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/11431502/Watch-drivers-terrifying-near-miss-with-lorry-caught-on-camera.html

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s not clear from this vid a) how fast he is going or b) how early he reacts, however from his actions he does seem pretty switched on so b) is probably decent. He doesnt’ seem to slow down very fast though so either the road is very greasy, he’s on shite tyres or he’s going fast.

The fact that he comes quickly to a stop with two wheels on soft mud without slewing or spinning tells me that the stability control DID kick in.

Make your mind up Molgrips…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘See – it's not just bikes that some drivers don't "see"’ is closed to new replies.