Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sedbergh loop – best descent
  • JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

I’ve done the Sedbergh loop numerous times and always descend from the Calf via Winder to Lockbank Farm. It’s one of the best descents into the UK but I’d like to try one of the others.

There’s the bridleway north of Winder, Bram Rigg or White Fell. Has anyone ridden them and got a recommendation?

thekettle
    Free Member

Do you mean the ridge from Howgill to White Fell? It’s straight and grassy and featureless. I tend to slog up it and descend Bowderdale Northwards (superb in a dry spell), head NW to Orton, then SW to Bretherdale, over Breasthigh Rd to Borrowdale and back to Howgill. A long low-tech day out in deserted fells.

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

I’ve done some loop that way round once, I definitely prefer it anticlockwise hence the desire to try one of the different descents

grizedaleforest

They lack something compared to the drama of dropping off Winder into Sedbergh. You also end up with a longer road section back into sedbergh. That said it’s still pretty nice so just go for it?

fergal
    Free Member

Bram rigg is a good descent, a little singletrack traversing at the top, but grassy in the main, worth doing if you are looking for something new in the area, we were staying in a cottage nearby, i wouldn’t go out of my way to repeat it though.

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBDY1cKf3g

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Thanks

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Went down Bram Rigg, good but not a patch on the descent to Winder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sedbergh loop – best descent’ is closed to new replies.