Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Security Marking of bikes – is there any evidence to support it?
  • allthegear
    Free Member

For some bizarre reason, I questioned a tweet make by Norfolk Police about always getting your bikes security marked because it deters thieves. Now, I’m sure that security marking will make it easier to reunite and already stolen bike with its original owner but is there any evidence AT ALL to support deterring thieves in the first place?

I somehow suspect not…

Rachel

simon_g

Now you’re on a watchlist…

I very much doubt it. I take pics of the serial numbers any time I get a new bike, if it gets stolen then those numbers would get reported and it’s easy for the police to look up if they come across a haul of dodgy bikes.

Anyone that can remove serial numbers can easily remove postcode stamps or security ink.

allthegear
    Free Member

It was more the deterrence of the theft in the first place they were stating – not even implying.

Seemed entirely made-up-fact type thing. No surprise there, then.

Rachel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

The scumbags who nick bikes are not going to worry about security marks.

They don’t care about any deterrent, they just need some cash for their habit.

cookeaa

That thread the other day with a link to a former tealeaves tales made for interesting reading, most interestingly that the “professionals” don’t keep a warehouse full of stolen bikes, instead they just lock them up elsewhere, at locations less likely to be suspected, even outside police stations…

Not sure UV paint or postcode etchings will deter any thieves really TBH, the chances of detection actually seem pretty slim.

lapierrelady

I don’t think it stops thieves, especially as the marking they did on ours was invisible- one of the selling points! It does help with reuniting bikes though as I did get 1 out of four back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Security Marking of bikes – is there any evidence to support it?’ is closed to new replies.