Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Security Glass For Domestic Front Door
  • monksie
    Free Member

Is there anybody in the glazing trade or somebody who may have some knowledge around?
    I need to replace two lengths of glass in my front door (about 80cm by 45cm each) and I’d like to put some very hard to break pieces of glass in there for security.
    Does anybody know any good shops in the North West where I can go and pick them up or online sites that will courier them?
    I’m more than happy to glaze the door myself.
    I thought I’d ask on here before making a complete arse of myself in Wicks and B&Q 🙂

project
    Free Member

Avoid toughened it goes into small pieces like rice, and just leaves a nice hole to climb through, go for 6 mm laminated glass available from any glass merchant, i use abbey glass in chester behind B and Q, nice freindly service.

Alos the law states all glazing in certain area and above a certain size must be safety glass, in all new and replacement glazing.Think its 10 inches wide or more.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks Project. I’m near Chester at the weekend (Llandegla). Any idea how much I’m looking at for the 6mm stuff?

project
    Free Member

Give them the sizes over the phone and theyll give you a price, they cut it while you wait.

From the traffic lights beteween the two tescos, turn left up bumpers lane then imediately right, then left and theyre on the left, think they shut saturday pm.

http://www.abbeyglasschester.co.uk/

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you

konabunny
    Free Member

Is there anything STW hive mind doesn’t know?

Haze

As I understand it…

If the glass is within 800mm from FFL, with a difference between inner and outer floor levels less than 600mm then the requirement is for safe breakage only.

If the difference is greater than 600mm (unlikely for a door) then you need the glass to achieve containment (ie. you won’t fall through it)

project
    Free Member

1. Critical Safety Areas.

1. Critical Safety Areas. The areas of internal and external walls which are considered ‘critical locations’ in terms of safety are:

1.1 Between the finished floor level and 1500mm above that level in doors, and in side panels which are within 300mm of either edge of the door.

1.2 Between the finished floor level 800mm above that level in the case of walls, partitions and windows. 2. Requirements of BS 6262 Part.

2.1 Safe Breakage: For doors and door side panels, the glazing used should not break, or should break safely in accordance with Class C of the standard impact test BS 6206(1981) if 900mm wide or less, or Class B if wider than 900mm.

For other low level glazing the pane should comply with at least BS 6206 Class C.Use laminated or toughened glass, or plastics glazing sheet, or wired glass, that meet BS6206, or glass with plastic film applied so the pane of glass with film meets BS6206

wrightyson
    Free Member

Could go lam on toughened. Will be slightly cheaper than lam on lam. It’s a hell of a job to get through laminated so just the one side should be enough!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Security Glass For Domestic Front Door’ is closed to new replies.