Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • security cage in a berlingo van…ideas?
  • ton

got myself a little berlingo runaround for the bikes.
    i want to fit a internal security cage, the same size as the whole cargo space.

anyone done similar, or any idea’s?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Isn’t the van already made of metal and cage shaped?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Would it not be easier to drop a ground bolt through the floor?

houndlegs
    Free Member

If you can’t see in the back of the van from outside, I’d just sling the bikes in and leave it at that. No need for a cage at all, and don’t forget you’d have to notify insurance as well.
    I’ve got a van with a bulkhead fitted and no rear windows, sling em in and off to go, never had any problems.

scotroutes

Why is everyone assuming it’s to keep folk out?

ton

i have had 2 work vans broken into at the side of my house where it will be parked. once resulting in a bike going.
    so i am gonna fit a anchor point and a cage. hopefully it will keep anyone who tries to get in..out.

postierich
    Free Member

You need to move!!!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Well don’t leave bikes in it.

ton

yeah, get a bike van and dont put bikes in it……you nob. 🙄

ffs, have you ever had a bike nicked?

bigshep
    Free Member

Why is everyone assuming it’s to keep folk out?

😆

bikeneil
    Free Member

I said ‘don’t leave bikes in it. Not don’t ever put bikes in it..

nickdavies

Got the load space measurements? Gas bottle cages are probably a good shout, cheap if you can find one second hand that fits nicely.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Anchor points and a good motor cycle chain would be easiest option a cage affair is likely to be fairly expensive and a pain to fit

Wally

I use the rear seat anchor points and 2m of 13mm pragmasis chain in a berlingo.
    Does van have these points?
    Thin metal cage you can get through with tin snips would be useless, so is lugging around huge metal cage in terms of economy.

firestarter
    Free Member

Get a life size cut out of yourself stood next to it tony no fookers gonna come near then 😉

Is there anywhere you can just run a big chain around in the van. In my old ldv van i drilled 2 holes in the floor pan and put a d lock through and locked the bike to the floor.

Still got broke into mind but they didnt get my bike

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

Like Wally, I use the rear seat anchor points and a couple of big Ulocks.

And I fill the back with fire spiders.

bruk

Look at some dog cages. Used to have a custom built double cage in back of my Focus and then Vectra estates. Trystorme were the company from memory. Might not be cheap but may have a pattern for a Berlingo already as lots of dog walking people use them.

bruk

Thinking about it we had a local company in Warrington make some for a Nissan Van when we tried using it as an ambulance to transport animals between practices. Can’t remember the name now but might come back to me.

unovolo
    Free Member

Get some aftermarket deadbolts for the doors(like British Gas and what not have on there vans).
    If there’s any glazing to rear or sliding doors then fit plywood to the inside so even if they break the glass there is then a second layer to get through.

Finally fit a couple of anchor bolts and big chains to secure the bikes.
    Also if there’s no bulkhead behind the seats consider fitting a full height one, they often come up on ebay.
    Anything that will slow them down will make them think twice before attempting to break in.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not that cheap Tony, but have a look here?

Ebay..

z1ppy

Bikeneil +1, bike vans are for driving bikes to the trails, not storing them overnight. Though a ground anchor & chain would sensible option for while in use (parking while travelling)

poly
    Free Member

Surely anyone who is tooled up to break in to a van and defeat a ground anchor/chain/lock is able to get through a cage or the lock on it?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Surely anyone who is tooled up to break in to a van and defeat a ground anchor/chain/lock is able to get through a cage or the lock on it

I’ve got a mate who is an auto locksmith. He once told me the sorry tale of somebody in the same profession who upgraded all of his key encoding and cutting equipment. This stuff all costs thousands and the nature of the job means it all has to be stored in the van. Being a locksmith this chap fitted the best locks he knew of to the van. He was understandably upset when a well informed thief targeted his van and nicked all of his gear. He did it by cutting through the side panels of the van. The locks were untouched.

Take your bikes out of the van Ton, never leave them there overnight.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘security cage in a berlingo van…ideas?’ is closed to new replies.