Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Securing Garage Door, large Roller, Advice How have you done yours?
  • yorkycsl
    Free Member

We have been lucky enough to buy a new house & got a double garage door, a electric roller thing that seems reasonably strong but I’m looking at ways of locking it down, first thoughts were secure a 12mm dia, 200mm long bolt wall Bolt into the concrete floor & maybe use some of the 2 part concrete adhesive as well as it’s own expanding wedges as you tighten it up, drill say a 6mm hole in the top where the roller door would come down over it, pop a good pad lock through either end of the lower lip of the door. if anyone has done something they’d recommend please let me know or any tips, bikes currently in boarded out loft until I’m sorted.

Cheers
    Mark

hammyuk
    Free Member

Make sure the roller has the anti-jack function enabled.
    Fit the bar lock too that you can get for them – one key outs a bar into the guide either side preventing it being lifted – just remember to unlock it before hitting the button….

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ve seen the key operated bar lock right across the back, i’ll have to drill & slot the side channels but it looks a bit flimsy, What’s the anti jack function? something on the motor?

Cheers
    Mark

jonba
    Free Member

I have a standard roller door and do pretty much what you describe. Expanding bolts in the floor and attached to the door (how you do this depends on the door but I can do mine internally on the bottom lip.

I wouldn’t bother with the adhesive the door will break long before the expanding bolts give. I connect mine using old screw gate karabiners.

The bar lock is pretty flimsy but it stops it being lifted. If you drill the bar beyond the point here it goes through the frame you could put a pin or padlock in to stop the bar coming out when locked from inside.

Or you could try these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garage-Door-Bolt-Locks-for-Extra-Security-One-Pair-Operated-On-Same-Key-/331402067931

deadkenny
    Free Member

If the garage has an exposed flat roof, concentrate on securing that also. A number of thefts recently have been by just going in through the roof.

The door, often they go for just crowbar bending an edge enough to crawl in and release the lock.

Other thing is take care over any side door to the garage if you have one. Many are often cheap affairs being not a main house door and easy entry. Good locked gate at the side and no bins nearby they can use to climb over.

And of course, don’t advertise your bike, ideally not on a roof rack for people to follow you but I know that’s not always possible, bike inside and secured quick and pay attention to people hanging about. Then… don’t publish bike and clues to where you live on the internet, or a list of the security you’ve put in place… oh wait 😛

project
    Free Member

Roller shutters run in channels bend the channel out and pull door away out of pannel as above,

climb onto roof makwe hole in roof and disable door mechanism from inside.

Smash side window, always fit curtains and steel barrs to windows,

Side door decent mortice dead locks top and bottom, reinforce frame hit door lightly in middle if a fluish door to see if its a hollow core, or if half glazed reinforce base pannel both sides bolt through door.

Steel bars and curtain on door glazing.

cheap baby moniotor or cctv and an alarm.

chestrockwell

I got these for my garage:

http://www.easylocks.co.uk/enfield-garage-door-bolts

Mount them low’ish to prevent the door being curled up. They’re very impressive.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Thanks for the info lads, I’ve no worries re flat roofs, I know the scroats will try anything, in the last house we build a brick shed well garage sized really, alarmed with a sound bomb & a pitched tiled roof lined with 20mm marine ply, then the door came from Bradbury security, basically they put the doors on hi security buildings substations etc & the scroats came tried and left … result.

So the new place is alarmed, security lights, remote camera movement activated & the door is coming out & same as previous going in, 17mm harden bolts going into a steel frame that last time I struggled to drill, the door will get the treatment very soon.

Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Securing Garage Door, large Roller, Advice How have you done yours?’ is closed to new replies.