Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Securing bikes in van with front wheels off
  • gozarch
    Free Member

We have a VW Transporter Kombi (so a row of seats in the back). We normally transport the bikes complete, across the van with front wheels turned slightly and bungees to secure.

This summer we need to take 5 bikes (plus four people and luggage) so are looking at ways of having the bikes along the van, front wheels off, and then top to toe.

Has anyone done anything similar and if so what did you use to keep everything in place? I wondered about those plastic fork spacers (do they have a name?) or ‘proper’ replacement axles and mounting them on wood.

I know you’re an inventive lot, so share your genius!

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Have the same van. I built 2 wooden ‘benches’ that go over the wheel arches. Bikes go across the van front wheels off & sit on the benches. I made supports for the forks – 1″ (I think) alcathene water pipe attached to approx. 6″ squares of ply. Whole lot is strapped down to the load rings. Benefit of having bikes raised up is that there is still a large accessible load space under. We managed to get 6 bikes in & kit for 2 weeks under. Hope that makes sense!

gozarch
    Free Member

Do you know, as I was posting I thought about plywood across the wheel arches. Great mind, eh?

So you have the bikes across rather than front to back?

lerk
    Free Member

Similar idea here… mine uses 1/14″ nylon that I found, drilled out to 15mm and bolted to an 18mm shelf.
    Mine is designed to fit folding boxes underneath.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve done this with my camper. Not the same config as yours but no reason why you couldn’t hang the plywood sheet vertically off the back of the seat (assuming your rear seats are positioned more forward than mine.

a closer look:-

Works well. I’ve glued some foam underneath so it grips the seats and doesn’t slide around.

T1000
    Free Member

Minoura make a bike holding system called vergo that has a rail and adjustable clamps

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I have a swb kombi. For that amount of bikes with front wheel off I put them in lengthwise top and tailed and put some luggage between them. Strap round the lot. It doesn’t? move about when making progress and costs nothing.

As bikes get longer it’s getting tight for closing the door.

gozarch
    Free Member

Cheers all.
    wobbliscott, what are those clamp and rail things you’re using? Are they the same as T1000 is talking about?

Stuart, I see what you’re saying, but I’d rather not risk the frames being scratched by using luggage as padding. These are all road bikes so we’re a bit more precious about them 😉

mark90
    Free Member

As bikes get longer it’s getting tight for closing the door.

+1

I have a LWB kombi and bikes with both wheels on used to fit straight length ways behind the rear seats no problem, now need to turn the bars to bring the bikes forward a bit to close the tailgate. And that is without wagon wheelers.

gozarch
    Free Member

Aside from the mounting questions, what does everyone do with the front wheels?

MoreCashThanDash

Left forgotten in a car park…. 🙄

wobbliscott
    Free Member

wobbliscott, what are those clamp and rail things you’re using? Are they the same as T1000 is talking about?

The rails were from Ford which I used with my SMax – they mounted onto the rear of the back seats so when they were flattened you could mount your bike in the back. I think they were about £90 for the three short pieces – one for the back of each of the rear seats. You could also get a single long piece that went along the width of the boot. You use normal T-bolts which you can attach the usual axel/QR fittings to.

karlp
    Free Member

As StuartLW says 5 bikes sans front wheels is perfect in a combi. We do all the time. 3 facing forward and 2 back. Put sock or similar on outer bar ends if against glass. Wheels in bags as then easy part of ballast between the bikes with rest of kit. We do strap outer 2 bikes to the van.
    Best with 2 large outer bikes and 1 smaller facing forward.
    All will make sense when you try

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Securing bikes in van with front wheels off’ is closed to new replies.