Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • securing a bike in car boot
  • iain1775
    Free Member

I do a fair bit of travelling with work and have started taking my bike away with me
    If I take the bars of I can fit it completly in the boot so its not visable, but i dont particualy like leaving it in there overnight so I want to lock it to the car body
    Any ideas on the esaiest / best way to do this?
    Ideally I dont really want to be drilling holes in the base of my boot, so how can I attach an anchor point?
    I was thinking of looping a cable lock underneath or through the spare wheel or something
    Any ideas

TiRed

If you fold the seats up, can you lock through any of the locking points for the seats? Friend’s Honda Civic was great. Rear seats fold back as well as forward, then I locked the bike to the underneath of the seat.

stumpy01

How old is the car?? Does it not come with ISOFIX? You should be able to get a cable through an ISOFIX mount.

Stick an old duvet cover over it to keep it out of prying eyes too.

Last time I was away with work I was working near Cannock so took the bike. I stayed in a premier inn for a couple of nights and then a Holiday Inn for the rest of the stay.
    At both places I took the bike into the hotel and locked it up in the room. Got some funny looks walking through reception with it, but no complaints.

hainman
    Free Member

can you not take the carpet out of the boot or make a wee hole in it that you can get a bike lock or chain through it to the securing bracket for the spare wheel???that should be a good strong-hold for your bike,

valleydaddy
    Free Member

what car is it?

On some saloon types there is exposed metal in the roof of the boot, or you can access it by removing any trim easily enough, if there is a frame work you could loop a cable around that?

If you have to cut the trim at least it will not be visable to the purchaser.

As Stumpy sais best option is to take it into the hotel room with you or ask for somewhere safe to lock it up.

uplink
    Free Member

Just be careful that you don’t end up with a destroyed car as well as a nicked bike

antigee

I’ve usually used the seat belt mounts or the underside of a seat
    also suggest parking tight against a wall (back end)
    might not stop the determined but at least makes it hard work

shortcut

Get a ground effect body bag and take it in the hotel with you overnight!

gnusmas

luggage anchor points in the boot?

failing that get an anchor from a car in a scrappy and bolt it in where the seatbelt mount is

steve_b77
    Free Member

I lock mine to the locking bits of the rear seats in a Mondeo hatch

Cougar

I’d suspect that if they’ve gained sufficient access to the inside of your car to be able to remove the bike, the horse has already bolted and whatever you secure it to is just going to get destroyed in the process.

Best defence is to not have it visible; cover it up as best you can, and don’t park in the same place predictably.

Where are you staying when you’re away, anywhere with secure facilities?

flatfish
    Free Member

Try two old steel wheels from the scrappy and put a long chain through. It’ll make it bloody awkward for anybody trying to run with it and impossible to ride with. If they’ve got a vehicle to put it in they’ll probably be equipped for most eventualities so anything you do will be pointless.

BadlyWiredDog

I was wondering about something like this – get it professionally fitted to the boot floor in an accessible place with some sort of reinforced plate on the underside of the boot and put a bloody great chain or U-lock through it. You’re really trying to deter car park opportunists – pro thieves will get through pretty much any security if they have the time and opportunity.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘securing a bike in car boot’ is closed to new replies.