Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Secure post boxes?
  • ElShalimo

We need a new post box ‘cos some naughty chaps have been stealing mail from us and ordering credit cards etc. etc. (police and banks informed)

Can anyone recommend a good secure external post box?
    Preferably something that you cannot reach inside and nick stuff from

PS we don’t have a letter box in the door (new build in conservation area) and a new box is cheaper than a new door

ElShalimo

Evening bump

ElShalimo

anyone?

lerk
    Free Member

So you can build a new house and stick a dirty great steel box on the outside of it, but can’t cut a hole in the door????

What are you conserving?

jairaj

Also interested in this. Same thing just happened to me.

I live in a block of flats with external mail boxes. They bent the metal post box door back enough to access the lock mechanism and open the door. It’s still usable but doesn’t quite sit flush to the box any more. 🙁

ElShalimo

lerk – I didn’t build it, cutting a hole in the door will weaken it and make it easier for bad people to break in. It’s not a great door to start with.

daftvader
    Free Member

As a postie I’ve seen most of the commercially available ones and tbf they’re all a bit crap. People will get into them if they want to. Possibly the best ones I have seen have been the cast iron ones, but they are breakable too

ElShalimo

daftvader – I just want something that’s difficult to get your hand into to stop the naughty people doing it again. There’s only so much you can do but anyone can get into our current cheapo Screwfix box

daftvader
    Free Member

There are narrow mouth ones, but unless you want to spend a couple of hundred quid it’s still going to be just thin gauge metal.

ElShalimo

Thanks

squirrelking
    Free Member

Price of door vs price of decent box?

Given the existing door is shit why not replace it?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Secure post boxes?’ is closed to new replies.