Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Secure Cycle Storage – your definition
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Now then all, just a quick crowd sourcing query, realistically & reasonably what would you expect from an accommodation provider (B&B, Holiday Cottage etc) which says it has “Secure Cycle Storage”,
    And what have you encountered that accommodation providers considered adequate but you didn’t.

I’m writing some guidance notes for advertisers as to what we expect if they tick a box to advertise with us. I want it to be reasonable, realistic, but also meet cyclists expectations.

many thanks.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

according to my insurance secure cycle storage is essentially indoors.

don’t know if that is helpful or not.

annebr
    Free Member

A locked room/shed (brick built) with internal ground anchors.

robdob
    Free Member

I would expect enough space to store a bike for each of the occupants to the same standard of security as the main house. A dusty old shed with a tiny padlock on is not adequate. It should be dedicated for cycles or other sports equipment, not filled with other crap. It should be weatherproof too and reasonably easy to get the bikes into – i.e. you can roll them in, no carrying upstairs or lifting over other things. A bonus I would say is a ground anchor to lock the bikes to.

2 examples – we did a short tour and the first B+B we stayed at advertised secure storage – it was a carpeted garage attached to the B+B with good security and enough space to easily get our bikes in and out. The second place (B+B/hotel type place) said yes we have secure storage but when we got there all they had was a rickety old garage which was going to be pulled down filled with old kitchen equipment and rubble which we had to move to even have a chance to get our bikes in. I was NOT happy to say the least and made my feelings very well known.

wwaswas

pretty much this.

A garage would count too as long as there were ground anchors.

I always used to lock my bikes around the gas pipe to the boiler in the little utility room that CentreParcs huts have in them.

crankboy
    Free Member

glentress hotel was a garden centre shed.
    b and b in peebles was a secure yard with a full height access gate .
    accommodation in west Scotland was a stone out house with a key shared by all users .

all adequate by my standards.

cabin in wales was its ok to put bikes in the living room did not really impress as an extra.

monkeyboyjc

This ^^ – also ground anchors to be sold secure gold rated. (basically what my insurance company ask for).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

From holiday accommodation I would expect a shed or similar with a padlock on the door. I’d be really surprised to find anything more secure or ground anchors unless it was somewhere going out of their way to market to cyclists.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’d probably vary by location.

Anywhere near Afan – Fort Knox with added ground anchors.
    Bothy in Scottish highlands – a post to lean it against.

Depends whether they’re marekting at mountainbikers on £5k rigs/steeds/dandyhorses. Or a family with bikes. I’d probably be happy with somewhere with a locked door and something to lock it to, or any space indoors.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Thanks all for your comments so far, broadly in line with my original notes, but some interesting clarifications, examples.

I think we’ll rule outdoors out completely, I’m thinking in main property and inaccessbale to non residents and locked to something. If in outbuilding Behind a strong lock in a solid/sturdy building, and locked to an immovable object.

Basic gist being you’d have to break in, then break a lock.

Ease of access a useful pointer as well.

Don’t think can get into insurance really, everyone’s difference etc…

Cheers all, any other POVs welcome.

Unk.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Secure Cycle Storage – your definition’ is closed to new replies.