Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Secure Bike Sheds
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We don’t have enough outside storage currently, the bikes are currently in 1 wooden shed, and all garden stuff squeezed in to another.

So options are.

1. Build a garage £5k +
    2. Buy another shed £500
    3. Buy a ‘secure’ metal bike shed thing.
    4. Keep bikes in house (not going to happen)

Option 1 isnt really affordable at the min. 2. another shed well yes but no security. Option 3 well could be a possibility but…

Looking at Asgard, only one of their sheds actually is reasonably secure. They say it can take up to 3 bikes, so I guess in reality that means 2, and I need enough space for 2 mtbs, 2 road bikes and 1 kids bike. £525

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/high-security-sheds/insurance-approved-bike-shed

They also have this for 6 bikes, but frankly the security looks woeful. £999

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/cycle-maintenance-shed

Then there is this one from another company which looks good, but is a bit pricey! £1,600

http://brodco.co.uk/daylight-secure/

Are there any other options out there that I have missed…apart from Hora’s views on bikes and sheds 🙂

Edit:

The other option is to get a garage like this £999, and then basically build a brick enclosed cage within for the bikes.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What you need is a shed big enough and something like this inside it.

Get it made to your size requirements and you can fit as many bikes in as you want. This bolts to the floor and wall, has a built in anchor point go a big chain and two big padlocks are used to lock it.

stumpyjon

You’re confusing what the shed is for, it’s not for security it’s for protection from the elements. On that basis avoid uninsulated metal sheds or boxes, they rain condensation. That big shed you’ve pictured is not in anyway secure, we had a smaller version, everything was soaked all the time and it took seconds to destroy it. Get a plastic shed (probably more secure than that flimsy metal one, spend the rest of your money on concrete, a ground anchor and good locks. My bikes are in a brick garage and are still locked to the concrete slab.

DT78
    Free Member

Done a search, a number of threads on this? I predict people who either have massive houses, understanding families or are single say sheds are useless and you are an idiot for considering putting a bike outside, followed by people (like me) who would love to have a separate heated safe room in the house for the bikes but sadly can’t so have the first Asgard shed in your link. It’s great.

Combine with some ground anchors, several chains, a motion alarm, placed surrounded by noisy gravel , floodlit and insurance is about the best you can get.

Need to factor in building or buying a floor for it and their shelving kit. It’s fine without but much more useful with. I have read of some one who,d run power to it and had a small thermostat and heater if that really bothers you.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I’ve an Asgard annex. It holds:

NP Mega
    OO 456
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Turbo trainer and wheel
    Tool box
    Bag of body armour
    4 Helmets
    2 Rucksacks
    4 pairs shoes

Tightish, but works. They come flat packed and feel super flimsy. Dead easy to put together and super sturdy once constructed. Would be noisy to break into, if you managed. Would recommend.

HTH

climbingkev
    Free Member

As above, plus never had a condensation problem, there’s some pretty good, inaccessible vents under the “eaves”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Secure Bike Sheds’ is closed to new replies.