Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • secondhand bikes……..
  • watsontony
    Free Member

i had a slight bit of play in the rear end of a bike ive owned for around 3months. i took it apart to have a look, One of my removeable drop-outs was missing a bushing!!! the seat stay had been tightend very tightly to bend the metal to the drop-out. when i replace the drop-out will the seat stay be okay to be opended up to fit the bushing in?

Aslo what is the worst bodge you have found on a second hand bike

nealglover
    Free Member

what is the worst bodge you have found on a second hand bike

Me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Insulating tape to shim out a crown race. The manufacturer had done it – Orbit.

whatgoesup

A 2 wk old bike borrowed for an afternoon ride from one mate for another to come along with me.

Quick usual once-over before a ride and the rear wheel was only half into it’s dropout. OK, fix that.
    Now the rear gear cable catches with the tyre tread. Odd, why could that be?
    Turn bike over – the plastic cable guide had been put on in the wrong position (LH guide hole lining up with RH frame hole). The numpties who assembled / safety checked it must have worked around this by the “rear wheel not properly in the dropout” bodge. Worst thing was that they’d adjusted the brakes to suit the new “improved” wheel position !

That was a Carerra that was bought from Halfords by the way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘secondhand bikes……..’ is closed to new replies.