Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Secondhand 26" or 650?
  • kingror
    Free Member

I am in the process of getting back on my bike after a few years of being out the loop. Think along the lines of Hope c2’s and Jr T’s. So its been a while.

Before I crack out the credit card and go full onto a new bike, I figure I get one off the bay for around £1500 and start from there. I know for that money I can get a good bit of kit that will last a while.

I have been chatting to a few mates of mine about a little dilemma that I am having.
    Since being absent from the scene for a while, I am having a little trouble catching up with whats what etc. In particular ……… Wheel size. From my view it seems the loonys at Mavic or other wheel manufacture forgot to carry the 1 when designing their new fan dangled rim and ended up with a 27.5. Instead of telling the boss of their cock up, they carried on and somehow have pulled it off. Although, I hear the chap who ended with the calculation which resulted in the creation of the 29er is in hiding from many people.

I digress, For under the 1500 mark, i can pick up a pretty well spec’d bike with 26′ shoes, for a little over the mark I get a flashier model with the 27.5 wheel.
    After asking me chums which one i should get, they all say the 27.5. To me, the extra is damm good few friday nights at the local watering hole, but is it really worth it? I came from 26″ and I don’t really care about the late fashions etc, but I do want to know will it be worth it?
    Not fussed about the resale value either, as I imagine I am going to torture the thing very quickly, (thinking orange five, was thinking alpine, but reality will prevail as I gotta get up some good hills)

You opinions would be greatly appreciated!

chakaping
    Free Member

Good time of year to pick up a discounted new 650b bike.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Pick the best bike you can get for your money, ignore 26 vs 27.5 wheelsize. Note – the best bike might not be the best specced bike, check the geometry etc.

andysredmini
    Free Member

650b is no better than 26″ so if the right bike in either wheel size comes up then go for it.

matt_outandabout

What forks? Straight steerer forks could be more of an issue if you ever want to replace.
    What gears? 3×9 is slowly becoming less available.
    Tyres are less of an issue, but again I can see newer tyre designs only being available in 27.5/29 over time.

We as a family of 3×9/straight steerer/26″ have started moving over to newer standards (and one of us till last month was on 5-bolt and 143mm rotors…)

chestrockwell

If you’re going 5 I’d go 650b as there’s plenty around at your price. I wouldn’t pay more than £1000 for a 26″ 5 these days, no matter what the spec was like.

lardman
    Free Member

650 or 26″ will make precious little difference to your riding fun, skill, capacity.
    Getting hold of reasonable 26″ forks, and tyres in about 4-5 years might well be near on impossible.

So, if you’re gonna ride this thing for the next 10years, then get a 650. (or a 29 if you’re tall and cant remember what a good handling bike is like)

orangeorange
    Free Member

I would definitely go down the 27.5 route,already plenty of bargains around in that wheel-size with the added bonus of being able to sell it on for a good price if you ever decide not to keep it.
    I managed to eventually sell both my 26`s for decent prices recently but it wasnt easy.For your budget you should be able to pick up a bike just a couple of years old in 27.5 wheel size

siwhite
    Free Member

You might not notice the difference in feel, but I’d vote for 27.5 just to ensure future proofing and resale value.

mrhoppy

If I were you I’d go for a 650b for availability of spares, etc. Then I’d ask me whether I’d sell you my spectral ex. Emails in profile. 😀

andyha
    Free Member

26+

Get some

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am still riding my 2 26-ers and will build another. 26 vs 275 is no notable difference imo. As above look through ads and buy the best bike you can find, I’d be tempted to start looking around £1000 too

pickle
    Free Member
    thomthumb
    Free Member

wouldn’t concern me.

26 prices are low. some bargins to be had on older 5 models. best to be aware that straight steerer tube forks are difficult to buy: if you would be upgrading at any point?

Northwind

siwhite – Member

You might not notice the difference in feel, but I’d vote for 27.5 just to ensure future proofing and resale value.

Or at least, make sure if you’re buying 26 inch, someone else has taken the depreciation hit. I’d be totally happy still riding 26 but if I was buying one it’d have to be properly cheap. And I’d definitely avoid straight steerer- not too hard, with anything reasonably modern.

kingror
    Free Member

Thanks guys for your reply I currently have the option of an orange five or a transition patriot. The orange five 2014 is slightly more higher spec although it is secondhand and the transition patriot 2016 is brand-new what would your decision be?

chestrockwell

I’d go Orange but only because I like Orange.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

you could get a pretty SB66 for your budget you know

postierich
    Free Member

Got a Whyte for sale T130 2 yrs old 650b new chainset last month XT 1×11 2 new tyres and all bearings changed has lots of trail scars great bike 900GBP if you interested 🙂
    Large I,m 5ft10 and its perfect for me as I put a smaller stem on

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Secondhand 26" or 650?’ is closed to new replies.