Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Second screen for laptop
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Would you rather have one the same resolution but physically bigger, or the same dpi?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I favoured a much bigger higher res screen at home – basically used as an alternative rather than additional. For the office I had twin screens and a docking station.

jam-bo

if its a different resolution you get the annoying mousetrap.

GrahamS

Can’t say I’d care.
    I tend to use the second screen as the main screen and just have background stuff or reference docs on the laptop screen.

So I generally want the biggest highest res screen the laptop can support at native resolution.
    Sadly with the piece of carp I’m currently using, that is just 1280×1024 😯

GregMay
    Free Member

Bigger with higher resolution here. Wrote my thesis on that one and kept reference material over on the lappy screen.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you say bigger screen with higher res – do you mean the same dot pitch? As in, things look the same on each screen?

GregMay
    Free Member

Negatory, better looking on the bigger screen. May be due to 4 years in technology difference between my XPS and screen though 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I meant the same size on each screen..?

tonyd

I prefer two large screens the same. If using the laptop screen I would go for one large high res screen as the main one and use the laptop screen for email or reference docs.

hp_source

I guess the DPI/PPI would vary from screen to screen depending on their max resolution, some laptop screens have relatively high max resolutions for the screen size as manufacturers want them to be capable of FullHD 1080p playback etc etc….

here’s a chart that compares PPI depending on size/resolution, it might help.

http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/desktop.php

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is this laptop screen is 1920×1080 and is what, 15.6″, which makes still quite small. 1080p monitors are always bigger than that.

jfletch
    Free Member

Laptop I’m using has a crappy 1280 x 800 screen. I use that as a second screen and my main screen is a slighty better, but not amazing 1440 x 900.

I’d say the best set up as asliding scale would be

Best – 2 huge high resolution screens
    Next – 1 huge high resolution screen with laptop as aux second scrren
    Next – 1 average screen and laptop as second screen
    Last – Laptop screen only

What I can’t fathom is that even though everyone in my office has the option of a docking station + proper screen/keybord/mouse they still choose to sit working on only the laptop, sometimes a 13″ one. Madness.

footflaps

I prefer two large screens the same.

Laptop stays shut when it’s docked. I have two cheap identical 22″ 25″ screens at work – makes moving things around very easy as the resolution / size is the same.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When you say bigger screen with higher res – do you mean the same dot pitch? As in, things look the same on each screen?

No – I ran the big screen at a higher res and used that as the main screen. If I needed to refer to something else on the laptop (eg email window) I didn’t care if it looked different/smaller. IMO one big high res screen is going to work best as the laptop will generally sit a t different height anyway

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Second screen for laptop’ is closed to new replies.