Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Second hand forks turned up with a mark on stanchions- pursue or leave it?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I bought a set of forks from another forum and they have turned up with a little mark on the stanchions. There was no mention of this in the advert (however I can’t prove this as it’s been taken down).

I’m wondering if I should pursue this with the seller (while I got them for a bargain price I’d not have paid that much had I known) or if it’s small enough that I should just let it go. You can feel it when you run a finger over it.

They’re also missing the rebound knob but fortunately they’re replacing a fork of the same model that’s knackered so I can replace that.

Liftman

We’re they also that dirty when you got them ?

plyphon
    Free Member

Did you pay with Paypal as goods (IEL have protection) ?

Id pursue.

bigjim

I’d let it go myself, but I wouldn’t have bought them without seeing decent pics of them.

taxi25
    Free Member

no real problem there, I’d just ride them. Unless I’d paid big money and they’d been described as like new.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Liftman- yes, pretty mucky. They turned up an hour ago and I’d just unwrapped them.

I did see some good photos but you’d have to look hard to find this. I’ve not had marked stanchions other than a set that got gouged by a rock behind the crown so not sure what effect one this size will have. Tempted to leave it but it’d be a shame if it ruined the seals constantly.

nealglover
    Free Member

Its not ideal, and a bit of a pain in the ass, but cant you ust fix it with Nail Polish/2-3-4000 grit ?

It’s not a big job and actually quite satisfying.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Legally – doubtful claim assuming this was a private auction – “buyer beware” and all that. Unless you asked “are there any marks on the stanction” then the seller probably hasnt misrepresented their condition.

Does that scratch matter – maybe someone will tell me otherwise, but I dont think it is usually a big deal, although that one is close to the seal. Just keep them clean and lubed, easy with RS forks.

Have you asked the seller if you can return them or have a partial refund. That’s nearly always the best approach.

But liftman has a point, if you’ve been out riding on them then you have accepted them. Enjoy the bargain.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t – not as big of a deal as people make out tbh.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ll leave it then. No point faffing about this close to Christmas when it’s not going to cause any bother.

Northwind

It won’t be a problem- not big enough to trouble a Rockshox. So you shouldn’t worry too much about it, but you still shouldn’t have to tolerate it. If you keep them, just tidy up the edge to ensure no sharps, nailvarnish them if you can be bothered.

Up to you whether you want to pursue it, might not be worth the hassle but I do zero tolerance. At the very least i’d be calmly but forcefully pressing for a part refund.

PS, Pinkbike?

nuke

Be a bit disappointed if it wasn’t mentioned…stanchion marks is one of things I’d expect to be told with a fork sale and also make me wonder what else I hadn’t be told; personally I’d drop the lowers and check seals/oil.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thing is, you cant really run a “zero tolerance” policy when it comes to private ebay auctions. M&S maybe, eBay sellers definitely not. But in practice, most people want amicable solutions.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

…having said that , I would have mentioned it if I was selling, no matter what the price

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nuke- they’ve just been serviced, I can tell that. Fresh fork oil on the stanchions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

on of those where it all depends what you paid tbh

I have a set with a worse scratch than that – fixed with nail varnish- and nothing gets through the seals so functionally I dont think it affects the forks

Does it affect the price of them HELL YES
    I find it hard to believe they would not check stanchions prior to selling tbh.

Its also a question I would always ask re stanchion condition

Northwind

agentdagnamit – Member

Thing is, you cant really run a “zero tolerance” policy when it comes to private ebay auctions.

Sure you can- it’s not even difficult, when an item’s not as described.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Is it just the photos or has some of the anodising worn off the stanchion ?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Every mark is different but i had a mark like that on a new set of forks few years back and it never bother them.They went on for years.The mark wasnt the problem it was the the rest of the forks that fell apart in time.As long as its not marking the seal it will be fine.

hora
    Free Member

I bet they need a service as well.

Return them.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What about the wear mark inside the stanchion? I would be worried about that!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it is worn as well I failed to notice that

Deal changer they are borked and the seller knew this

nuke

You mean what looks like wear in the third pic? Looks like shadows overlapping to me and can’t be seen in first 2 pics 😕

munrobiker
    Free Member

You all had me nervous then. Just double checked and they are definitely not worn.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

are you sure luke?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bruneep

reflection of the arch?

or a sticker

matth75
    Free Member

How much did you pay for them? Only asking as if it’s ‘not much’ or ‘They were a bargin!’ then what’s the issue, they are going to be marked somewhere? FWIW My cheepo RS forks work a treat & they are rusted on the back of the staunchions.

nuke

reflection of the arch?

Yep, this

hora
    Free Member

This happened to me THREE times.

Twice I returned. Once I had a discount and I self repaired and sold onto peter poddy.

Dirty is insulting ontop of the damage.

Refund. Or 50-100 rebate.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s the reflection of the arch. I’ve had a look at them, they’re fine.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Second hand forks turned up with a mark on stanchions- pursue or leave it?’ is closed to new replies.