Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Second hand forks – a warning
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Not-so -happy bunny here.

Bought a set of lovely Fox f100rls last week and intitially I was very happy. Definate improvement on my MX comps

Anywhoo, stripped to do a seal/ oil change and found to my horror that below the surface the LH (air side) stantion is worn beyond repair and the PTFE liner on the guide has broken away.

The stripdown also revealed nasty cloudy looking oil and a large amount of oil ABOVE the air spring seal (should only be a bit of float fluid there)

I have no quarrel with the vendor as he seems genuine enough with good FB.
    (Although worryingly his LBS supposedly “serviced” these forks)

So the bottom line is that I need new uppers and a set of bushes. I have the kit to do this myself but the next challenge is going to be to get hold of the spares for any kind of good money!

Moral of the story; DONT BUY FORKS BLIND!

GW
    Free Member

I was very happy. Definate improvement on my MX comps

so ride them into the ground if even **** they are an improvement. 🙄

or take it up with the seller instead of feeling sorry for yourself to a bunch of strangers on here 😛

nuke

So what exactly are you expecting? That sellers strip forks down to there parts and then take photos?

Dancake
    Free Member

So what exactly are you expecting? That sellers strip forks down to there parts and then take photos?

no you are right. We should all take pot f**king luck with our hard earned money and buy blind.

or take it up with the seller instead of feeling sorry for yourself to a bunch of strangers on here

I appreciate the smiley face, mate but have you considered that I might just want to stop someone else making the same mistake? After all some of us hve just got into this game

nuke

no you are right. We should all take pot f**king luck with our hard earned money and buy blind.

I’m asking a question as denoted by the ‘?’ so, go on, what exactly are you expecting of a seller?

gee
    Free Member

Last time I bought a set of forks second hand I pulled them apart at the side of the road, much to the surprise of the bloke selling them. I wasn’t about to hand over £200 for something that was knackered.

Dancake
    Free Member

I’m asking a question as denoted by the ‘?’ so, go on, what exactly are you expecting of a seller

“I have no quarrel with the seller” did you read that part? I was giving advice ffs. That being that you cannot expect the vendor to neccesarily know the condition of his product. i.e look at what you are buying

Dancake
    Free Member

at no point did I blame the vendor- i blamed myself for not being careful and i was warning others of the pitfalls. Just because you have seen it all before it doesnt mean others have…that really should have been obvious from my post.

coffeeking
    Free Member

On of the trade-offs when buying 2nd hand. If I were SELLING forks I’d probably strip them down and take photos of the inside for completeness. If I were buying them I’d request the ability to return them if they turned out to be full of junk and worn out, otherwise I’d not buy them. But by the countless cases of fox forks having worn parts very early on, I simply wouldnt buy any second hand, full stop.

nuke

What is your problem? I’ve asked a question of what you expect from a seller, not your seller specifically, any seller. I didn’t realise you were performing some civic duty with this thread and we, humble forum dwellers, were not allowed to question your statement. 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thats what I’d expect. Afterall, they should be stripped down and servicedevery 15 hours anyway, so they sell should know the condition.

I sold some fox’s with knackered stanchions at the start of the year, but I mentioned it in the add and consequently ended up with £135 for them. Not much perhaps, but it was my fault they ended up in that state so I wouldnt expect someone else to fork out for my mistake

Dancake
    Free Member

bit sarcastic?

so, go on

bit patronising ?

I didn’t realise you were performing some civic duty with this thread and we, humble forum dwellers, were not allowed to question your statement.

both.?

I am leaving this forum.

Dancake
    Free Member

nuke

“I have no quarrel with the seller” did you read that part? I was giving advice ffs

Bit aggressive

I am leaving this forum.

😆 you’re a sensitive soul!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

dancake i think you have been treated abysmally by the people in this thread. Some people set out to be pious **** all the time, pity they are all in this one thread.

nuke

dancake i think you have been treated abysmally by the people in this thread. Some people set out to be pious **** all the time, pity they are all in this one thread.

Oh here we go, climb down off that big horsey. I asked a question, that was all. Seriously, I’ve bought and sold forks a plenty and I wanted to know if it was normal to expect sellers to strip down their forks before sale.

Dancake
    Free Member

Ok group hug 🙂

Suppose I was a bit aggressive. Sorry dude

Im not really leaving, of course…why would I . I have had loads of help on here and Im sure i will have more…

singlespeedstu

Wow.

What a way to treat a newcomer to the forum.

thomthumb
    Free Member

dancake: chill out and put the toys back in the pram!

tang
    Free Member

valid point i think. ive never bought 2nd hand forks before. you would think if ‘they have been serviced’ theyd be ok.

nuke

Suppose I was a bit aggressive. Sorry dude

Yeah, me to. Guess it could be construde as sarcastic.

NOW ANSWER THE FCKING QUESTION 😉

nuke

Wow. What a way to treat a newcomer to the forum.

Yeah and you can climb down from the big 29er as well

flipiddy
    Free Member

Dancake – Fox forks are notorious for this.

[Cynic mode]

Seller probably thought ‘these feel a bit rough, better get them sorted – haven’t touched ’em for 2 years’.

So off he goes to the LBS, when upon inspection they tell him that they are knackered. Replacement stanchions + service will cost him the best part of 200 quid. ‘Stuff that’ he says –’ just put ’em back together’. ‘I’ll flog ’em on’ he thinks.

So that’s exactly what he does and unfortunately you are the unlucky chap to purchase said pony forks.

[/cynic mode]

Discuss it with the seller, he may well be hoping you wouldn’t pull them apart for a while.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Erm, this forum used to be… 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Good work guys. Dancake, it’s not all like this but you’ve been around for a month so you probably realise that a) don’t do anything rash or spend money foolishly and expect any sympathy here, because everyone’s perfect, never been caught out with a second hand purchase b) whatever the **** you do, don’t ever admit to speeding and want to get away with it.

singlespeedstu

🙄 @nuke.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not something limited to forks though is it. Theres a risk with anyhting you buy second hand/over the internet.
    Personally my last 6 sets of forks (2X Pace, 2X Marzocchi, 2X Fox) have all been great. Maybe the Pace RCwhatevers were a bit crap, but thats cos they were the old style!
    Warning appreciated Dancake. I shall be careful in future and not attack someone trying to give me a friendly warning. 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

NOW ANSWER THE FCKING QUESTION

there was a question ?? 🙂

hey, I admit I have a had a few jars… (drown my sorrows and all that)..is this how fights start in pubs? (I dont frequent those establishments much these days)

In answer to your question..dont know. I personally wont buy 2nd hand foxes again. I have read up on the subject (really should do that BEFORE spending any money) and it seems that the top bush is prone to this…cant see how it can get lubed properly unless the service schedule is kept up. Also its ok to store upside down to oil the felt , but eventually that oil will run out (only 30cc on LHS) so it must be topped up.

nuke

Seriously intrigued by this “what a way to treat a newcomer”. WTF? I asked a question and got a bit of a aggressive response yet I’m been construed as some forum baddy. If he had answered my query all would be fine and dandy. I didn’t realise we had to treat newcomers with such kid gloves. 🙄

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Fox forks: 2nd hand just assume the stanchions will be f**ked somewhere.

Rock Shox or Marz: dont worry about it, they’ll be fine.

zaskar
    Free Member

Maybe he was unlucky or the LBS didn’t do a great job?

Maybe you could buy spares off TF?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

nuke – you came over as a cock – end of!

singlespeedstu

How about cutting the guy a bit of slack?

After all he’s just found out he’s made quite an expensive mistake. 😳

nuke

nuke – you came over as a cock – end of!

Based on these questions ….”So what exactly are you expecting? That sellers strip forks down to there parts and then take photos? ” How?

If OP hadn’t comeback aggresive and answered my queries I’d have not commented further.

Forum regulars round on sporadic forum user whose allegedly has rounded on new forum user 🙄

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Look – he came on here to offer some advice, you took it as a chance to snipe. Admit it and shut up. Stop trying to come over as mr innocent.
    The OP is bound to be **** off at an expensive mistake, he tries to help, and then you get precious because he bites back! GTFU

Dancake
    Free Member

Back on topic, I think Ill replace the bushes and polish the worn stantion for now. This might give me a few months grace before the winter while I wait for some cheap uppers to come up (or shiny new forky dorkies)

For the record, I apologise for my testy reactions 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

you came over as a cock – end of!

The end of a cock?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can’t you just polish all of the uppers and take them to a metalworks to get them anodized properly?

Dancake
    Free Member

Can’t you just polish all of the uppers and take them to a metalworks to get them anodized properly

I have read on a few other posts that this hs been considered but not sure if it has been done..If it works, someone could make a few quid service exchanging these and rebushing.. Trouble is my wear had gone beyond the anodising in one place so it would need building up first. I know a chap through work who could do just that but the price may be pohibitive..

I have bought some bushes though! 35 quid or thereabouts all in from the USA (couldnt find any over here. (chain reaction listed but no choice to buy)

ill keep you posted on how it goes.

Gnnr

Good luck Dancake, expensive mistakes are never pleasant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Second hand forks – a warning’ is closed to new replies.