Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Second hand buying advice!
  • zingrock
    Free Member

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum and this is my first post but I need some help from some experienced heads 🙂

So I’ve been getting by up till now by borrowing my mates genesis core but there are too many times when I just want to hit the dirt on my own so I’ve finally decided to buy a second hand bike.

So I’m looking to spend around £200 on a hardtail and ideally it wouldn’t be older than 2011. So far the bikes that seem to be out there for what Im looking for are Carrera kraken and Vulcan (rare for fury to go that low), voodoo Bantu or hoodoo, specialized hardrock disc, saracen mantra, Scott aspect and that’s about it.

Could anyone please advise me on which of these is better or any more possible candidates.

Also does anyone reckon it would be better to wait till after Xmas when there may be a few unwanted new bikes out there.

Also just seen a new voodoo Bantu in my town for £265 would it be worth it to spend a little more on this brand new bike or wait for a better bike at a better price which is a little older?

Thanks in advance, Morg

cynic-al
    Free Member

Condition and price more important than brand, as long as the parts are ok.

ska-49
    Free Member

Cant find an email on your profile..
    Drop me a message at lucky49s (at) hotmail.com

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a rigid singlespeed. You may be able to get something acceptable for £200, and theres less chance of it being **** nad/or falling apart.

Not only that, it’ll make you hard as nails and teach you immense bike handling skills.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon the forum could sort you out for 200quid with various parts.
    I’ve got a medium Kraken frame including headset (& squaretaper bb, if needed).

£40 to cover postage and the cost of the new headset.

(+cheap Truvativ cranks if nothing else comes up)
    Come to think of it, got a seatpost that fits too.

zingrock
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys, thanks dez although I wouldn’t know where to start on other smaller bits, I could research good forks and wheels alright but I’m not experienced in building up a bike and I doubt I would be able to get all the parts to make a better bike than what I could buy second hand as a complete bike :/

DezB
    Free Member

oh well, I tried 😉

zingrock
    Free Member

Your frame may come in handy, il keep you posted 🙂

peterich
    Free Member

Hi mate
    do alot of research for the bikes youre after and keep looking every day here, pinkbike, gumtree and ebay there are bargains to be had
    i picked up a genuinely as new gt aggressor xc1 for £240 it was a year old never riden £699 new great little hardtail for allround fun and good parts to if a tad heavy
    happy hunting remeber you need to put in the ground work

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Second hand buying advice!’ is closed to new replies.