Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • seatposts…. thomson or carbon?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon….

I will be changing the seatpost in my new bike (canyon 29er fs) as the stock one weighs slightly more than the QE2!
    Does the hive mind reckon I should stick with the tried and tested thomson post or go with a carbon one?

cheers

FuzzyWuzzy

Thomson on a FS would be my choice

Speshpaul

What he said.
    the tommy will be stiffer than most CF posts, but you won’t notice on a FS.

daftvader
    Free Member

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

Northwind

Depends what you want it to do. I bent my Thomson, wasn’t very impressed with it at all, it went slack in the seattube as it wore too… replaced it with a much lighter carbon one (Raceface Next SL) that lasted years, was still going strong when I sold it.

I know a lot of people on here love their Thomsons, I’m just not sure why.

daftvader
    Free Member

I just want it to hold my saddle 😀 im not a serial dropper as where I ride it isnt really needed. Lightness and strength are key I suppose. Ive got a thomson layback on the chameleon and its done ok, can’t use it on the new bike tho as the angle of the downtube is too much for it. Also merlin have the easton ec70 carbon post for the same price as the thomson one… decisions decisions….

holdsteady

was thinking just yesterday, why are approx 90% of seatposts on Mountain bikes black? I’m currently looking at building a new bike, and have decided I want a plain silver one, as I don’t want an anodised black one (or any other colour) again as they just gets badly scratched up when the post is adjusted.

njee20
    Free Member

Thomsons aren’t light.

That EC70 for £50 is good value, I’d sooner have that, Wiggle have the newer style one for only slightly more.

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a dropper!

daftvader
    Free Member

I dont really need/want a dropper… and holdsteady wiggle has a silver ritchie one if that helps and there is always a lynskey ti one !)

Macavity
    Free Member

daftvader
    Free Member

HA! Mr Akrigg I most definitely am not!!! 😆 and besides hampshire doesn’t really rate a dropper.

JoeG
    Free Member

daftvader – Member

I dont really need/want a dropper…

Yes you do! You just don’t know it yet… :mrgreen:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘seatposts…. thomson or carbon?’ is closed to new replies.