• This topic has 35 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Seatposts, strong ones
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Having bent three in the last year (SDG, Easton and another) I’m after a strong, long (400mm) 27.2 post, anybody suggest anything other than a Thomson?

wwaswas

I’ve got a Blackspire one (430mm I think) which looks stronger than the Thomson one I have.

I’m not a post bender/breaker though so I’ve no idea of their relative strengths.

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5953/263253/0/0

khani
    Free Member

The blackspire ones are supposed to be unbreakable but I had one and the head came unbonded from the shaft and turned while you peddled, they’re also supposed to have a lifetime warranty..which turned out to be nackers as well..
    It didn’t bend though…

LoCo
    Free Member

Thanks, about the same as price as the Thomson which I think I prefer the look of ( 🙄 sorry ) has anybody bent a either of these posts.

Saccades
    Free Member

Richie Pro (or Ritchie) – pretty indestructable, only got rid of it (I broke/bent 4 seatposts before I got it via crc’s sale 4-5 years ago) because it got stuck in the frame and it was scraped too much to pass the “does it look nice” test after getting it out.

LoCo
    Free Member

Bent a Ritchey one too on the last bike 😳 I run have to run a 400 at pretty much full extension so it’s a pretty long thin lever which seems to be the issue.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive got a Syntace P6 post for sale. £40, barely used. I think I prefer it to the Thomsons Ive used.

LoCo
    Free Member

Thanks David, I’ll be buying new direct from the distributors so I get a warranty 😉

I don’t break things on the bike as a rule just posts

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, Im not sure who distributes them, but I had to buy mine from Germany. Worth a look though.

wwaswas

BigSi from these parts broke a Thomson recently – I think they sent him a new one for nowt once they picked themselves up off the floor.

richmtb

What’s wrong with a Thompson, they are pretty tough too.

I’ve got a sunline post which looks pretty tough, its certainly nicely made

nols
    Free Member

Thomson – bit of a no brainer really.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Why not a Thomson?

GW
    Free Member

Are Ritchie’s not just Kalloy posts?

My Nukeproof post has proven reasonably strong so far (couple of years also on the limit and 410) But it is a 30.9 another good reason to avvoid steel frames IMO

Anybody tried the 450mm gusset seatpost?

LoCo
    Free Member

Just asking whether anybody else had suggestions for alternatives, will probably go for a Thomson, but just wanted to see.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I only use Thomson now as every other post I have had has bent. All the money I spent of posts that bend could have bought me a another Thomson or two.

Just get a Thomson.

GW
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have thought a Thomson would be the strongest post available
    simply as they are pretty lightweight

LoCo
    Free Member

Will let you know when/if I bend it 😉

Here’s the last one:

IMG-20120718-00158 by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

Baldysquirt

I’ve bent a few, but my 27.2 Nukeproof is holding up well. The anodising stays put too.

If not what about a RF diabolus – they’re meant to be pretty meaty.

stevemorg2

Si – the thomson has beeen great on the Five (and as you know I’m no lightweight!) but I’ve been vey impressed with the Nukeproof I’m running on my Cotic – might be worth a look – they are a bit cheaper and certainly seem as solid

bm0p700f
    Free Member

If weight and strength were related as you say then that cheap oxford seatpost would be very strong. It isn’t though.

LoCo
    Free Member

😆

GW
    Free Member

🙄 as I say?
    Materials, design and manufacturing process is what makes a post strong and light but increasing the wall thickness of the post will make it even stronger (but not quite as light)

LoCo
    Free Member

Totally GW, not worried hugely about weight anyway, will try a Thomson and then go for the really heavy duty options if I manage to break that.

Northwind

Raceface Atlas maybe? I bent my Thomson, and never any other post but to be fair, it was bought (well) used so might just have been clapped out. The Nukeproof that replaced it seems stronger and has the same famous ovalised bore as the Thomson.

GW – Member

Anybody tried the 450mm gusset seatpost?

Aye… It’s very very long. Other’n that I haven’t got much to say about it though… Feels a bit cheap and generic, has a reasonably nice 2-bolt clamp etc. Does the job but it doesn’t get worked too hard.

alaric

At 6’2″ with longish legs and 17 stone, I’m pretty hard on seat posts. I’ve bent Thomson & Race Face posts, and snapped a Hope Eternity.

I’ve got 2 Blackspire posts, one of which is at least 10 years old & still straight and strong. I’ve had to replace the mounting hardware once but that’s all.

I’ve got a fair bit of Blackspire kit (Seatposts, bars, cranks, chainrings), and it’s all proved much tougher than the more mainstream choices.

Edric64
    Free Member

My 6`4 16 stone bends every post it comes in contact with eventually .Thats the peril of needing 400mm to 450 mm posts at their limit

GW
    Free Member

Cheers NW. they’re cheap enough that I might get one and see how they fair (currently run my Nukeproof above the limit if climbing.)

since you mention the ovalised bore of Nukeproof/Thomson, the superstar post seems to have the same.. never seen one in the flesh tho.. wonder if it’s something from the same factory as Nukeproof’s posts like SS pedals etc? or something looking similar but much inferior?
    anyone got any experience of them?

What was that post around in the 90s that had a sort of internal gusset running right up the middle? Syncros?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Snapped a 27.2 carbon post, bent loads of others, every Thomson I’ve had has been great.

Slogo
    Free Member

I think you guys on bikes that need 400+mm on a seat post need a bigger bike!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope eternity

Going strong in my HT at near full extension. Much easier to fit saddle than a thompson too

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Slogo – Member
    I think you guys on bikes that need 400+mm on a seat post need a bigger bike!
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO #

They don’t exist as off the shelf frames from a lot of makers. Sloping top tubes don’t help either.

takisawa2

Countless years of countless pounding from my lardy bulk has never bent a Thomson.

If you want something different buy a silver one… 🙂

Slight aside…are you the same LoCo that does suspension…?
    I have some Fox F29’s with knocking bushes, can you service/fix them…?

bigyinn
    Free Member

GW, the one with the internal spine was control tech. I bent one of them. My original 27.2 Syncros never bent in nearly 8 years daily use. And I’ve not bent either of my Thomson’s.
    Although none of my posts are anywhere near the limit….

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of Thomsons break, so not indestructable. I’m a serial seatpost breaker (and not because my frames are too small… although there is evidence that some of them may have been pretty damn small).

Blackspire Shore if you can find one is very long and in my experience very strong…

The frame broke… 26.8mm is a really stupid size.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s for the 19.5″ albert and they don’t come any bigger 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Seatposts, strong ones’ is closed to new replies.