Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Seatpost: lowest rail/overall stack? height
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically my seat tube is long and the dropper collar etc overall height still left the saddle a smidge too high when dropped. The droppers gone anyway (faulty) so….what regular seatposts have the lowest length/height -top of post to rail fitting?

brant
    Free Member

If you don’t have a dropper why don’t you just cut the seatpost down?
    Or equally can you trim your seat tube down a bit and slot it deeper? We did this on a frame for Oxley last year.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t get the question, or why it’s relevant to a non dropper?

lowest length/height -top of post to rail fitting?

The thickness of the upper clamp? IME this is usually a few mm, similar for almost all seatposts, and is irrelevant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Using this as an example – from the top of the carbon to the rails- I’m looking for the shortest height:

My frame has a 20inch seat tube. I LIKE the frame but I can’t get my head around why the mad Andorrans want such a long seat tube v TT for such a bike 😕

Brant, I’d be interested in that -is there much room to play with? (see pic). The slot is rear facing which helps with the weld at the front. The issue is the weld is in high up to that area if you cut down further- would the position of the weld/rear facing ‘flex’? (tiny but)- affect the front weld?

brant
    Free Member

I would take an inch and a bit off that seat tube. Seat clamp should clear the weld by a few mm, then slot at back.
    Screws your warranty of course and you will worry about resale I guess.
    Sort of thing I would do without a thought but then I am not normal.

brant
    Free Member

Though you are clearly trying to drop the saddle too low because of bad technique. I ride HebTech with a 125mm drop reverb.

hora
    Free Member

Screws your warranty

Its a Commencal, shrugs

and you will worry about resale I guess.

Its a Meta 5. Its going to go for mere chips at somepoint. Plus I got it direct dirt-cheap…

+1

Sounds a wee bit odd but an inch would really help. Ride preference I like the saddle slightly lower but its buzzing around’ my thighs at its lowest point at the moment. Thats my only gripe with the frame- love how the rear suspension/etc feels.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps you need to work on your technique, unless you’re a full on DH’r most people dont need the amount of drop they think they do.
    I dont have a dropper on my bikes so, unless its a long technical downhill section i’ll drop it an inch or two, otherwise it stays at full height.
    The inch is in your head hora (dont tell the ladies that though). 😆

hora
    Free Member

To a degree I agree. I’ve never owned a 20inch frame before – I’ve got a monkey body, midgets legs.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Are we going riding sometime monkey features?

hora
    Free Member

I’m sure we can/will soon 🙂 Ditto brant. (Whats wrong with me today, I’m not grumpy) 😐

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, you can show me some Peaks stuff. Only ever done Cut Gate and a bit around Ladybower.

hora
    Free Member

Early early’s are always good for me at weekends (any day) which means we get back for noonish. I can show you shedloads round there. Just let me know what weekend although if the weathers good I’m riding Monday.

honourablegeorge

brant – Member

Sort of thing I;d do if I had a warehouse full of new and prototype frames to choose from…. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Meddling with things is good 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost: lowest rail/overall stack? height’ is closed to new replies.