Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Seatpost height limit
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Afternoon
    How much is it safe to run a seat post above the recommend height limit? I'm running a 250mm post with approx 5mm above the height limit. Road use only I might add. Asking for trouble?

Jezwick
    Free Member

I would always make sure that the bottom of the post is below the bottom weld on the highest top tube.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The answer is it isn't safe, but you'll probably get away with it.

I usually like to have to have the post inserted enough to pass the lower edge of the top tube/seat tube weld, regardless of what the 'min insert' on the post says.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

It's safe unless it causes damage or snaps… i.e. it's not really a question anyone can answer apart from the obvious advice of play it safe and get a longer seatpost…

Drac

100mmm left in the seat tube is best.

It's safe unless it causes damage or snaps.

What a strange comment.

coolfurcats
    Free Member

Oh my giddy aunt…:lol:That's one of the funniest things I've read on here for yonks… [It's safe unless it causes damage or snaps.]
    I can just see it: "Is that seat post safe?" SNAP!!! "What the f*@k!" CRASH!! "No."

Drac

He was safe driving at the tree at 100mph until he hit it.

JimmyB
    Free Member

By running it short you're putting a lot more bending force (It's basically a lever) through the seatpost tube but also a lot more force through the frame tube which it may not be designed to cope with.

I'd agree with anotherdeadhero on his 'rule of thumb' as being good practice where possible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost height limit’ is closed to new replies.