• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Seatpost clamp, Hope or Thomson?
  • thorpie
    Free Member

As above, only ever used Hope clamps so no experience of the Thomson ones (I do use Thomson seatposts). The Thomson looks a little neater so which one?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Or salsa

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

My silver thomson clamp cracked after about a year
    It wasn’t a qr so it didn’t get any real use, other than keeping the seatpost In place.

km79
    Free Member

Salsa are about the best I’ve ever used, wasn’t impressed at all with the Hope one I used previously.

jfb01
    Free Member

I always used Hope QR clamps,but if the post is a loose fit they need a huge amount of lever pressure to stop the post slipping. Salsa clamp has a longer lever & is also easier to use.Also the Salsa clamp ,both qr & allen key have a larger clamping area.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Salsa works just fine.

Hope works just.

hairyscary

I’ll be the first……… Chromag.

devash
    Free Member

Salsa all the way. Absolutely no competition.

duir
    Free Member

Chromag or Salsa, both are excellent and beat the other two you mentioned hands down.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Salsa all the way. Absolutely no competition

It’s good, but it’s not right, says Roy Walker

I’ll be the second third……… Chromag

Rather spendy, though

iainc

Thomson are good for reverb as low torque

hillsplease

Salsa- good if you want QR and are portly, like me (19st-ish in riding kit).

Thomson or Straitline if you don’t want QR and are portly.

Hope gave up against my enthusiastic mass.

Oddly Salsa non QR slipped on the full Paris Roubaix, but a big day out with over 55km of horrid pave on 90 psi tyres was never going to be easy on the bike.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a Chromag and it’s great, but I do have issues with it creaking unless the brass bushing is liberally greased.

bwakel
    Free Member

Salsa are by far the best I’ve used. Hope are truly horrible, very crude in comparison.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Chromag. Job done!

jonnyrockymountain

Yeah salsa here no comparison

thorpie
    Free Member

Hmm, don’t want qr, that’s the reason for changing the Orange Strange qr that I have on my Clockwork at the moment. Need a flush fit at the top tube/seat tube junction for a bike packing bag.

thorpie
    Free Member

Salsa non qr looks good, what size will I need on a 2014 Clockwork, 30.9mm seatpost.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Oh, not qr – then anything that fits and you like the colour of :mrgreen:

vincienup
    Free Member

Personally, Salsa or Thomson if I’m looking for a non-QR clamp (ie, if I have a dropper) – Thomson for preference but Salsa if I want ano.

Salsa or possibly Chromag if it’s a QR.

If there’s a Hope already there, I’ll use it with a drop of oil on the brass, but I’d probably not go out of my way to buy one. The hubs are good but everything else with the Hope name on is a bit overrated IMO.

cardo

+1 Salsa Lip lock

tomd
    Free Member

Salsa has been spot for me, great design.

Some folk reckon they wear out because the don’t have the brass surfaces on the cam. So once the anodizing goes they get stiff. Mine is 3 year old on my most used bike and is still fine so not sure if it’s a real problem. It might be if you want to adjust your seat very often.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost clamp, Hope or Thomson?’ is closed to new replies.