Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Seatpack help
  • dmc
    Free Member

Looking for one for this years adventures 😉

The question is holster style or not if so why and what would you recommend and why ?

Sorry real world advice would be appreciated.

Would like it to be waterproof’ish I have a revelate tangle which has been a good purchase but their seat packs are quite expensive…

Thanks

Dc

scotroutes

I’ve been using a Viscacha first a couple of years now. I really like it. Packs well, stable, robust.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Revelate Terrapin (the older style) and used it for the first time last weekend.

Pros: packing off the bike and then loading it up is definitely the better way. It means you can pack under cover when it’s raining too. Fully waterproof. Can be easily removed if parking the bike somewhere.

Cons: not as stable as the Viscacha (though the new version has some changes); deeper when fitted so may hit rear tyre if little clearance; overall slightly heavier; no facility for attaching other gear/Spocket (again, resolved with the new version.

Overall, I think I’d go for the Terrapin now if I was buying new.

whitestone
    Free Member

I prefer the holster style since it separates the storage and mounting requirements. If an all in one seat pack gets punctured/ripped then you have to replace the whole lot whereas with separate holster and dry bag you just need to get another dry bag. As Colin says being able to pack off the bike then just plug the bag into the harness.

I’ve the Wildcat Tiger harness, happy enough with it.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

This KTM is the one I’ve got – simple but effective. I use drybags inside it, and an extra luggage strap round the seat rails ‘just in case’.
    Fits on the road bike and the sonder just fine. Wouldn’t use it with a dropper though.
    I pack then fit it to the bike, it’s a bit of a faff, or just take the bike into the bothy…

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Yup holster and dry bag style all the way. I’m using a ReStrap one which is pretty stable and well made (not the cheapest though)

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got an Apidura one which I like, but it is a hassle having to use a drybag inside it. When it needs replacing I’m going for one of the Alpamayo designs holster ones. Got a bunch of their other bags and really impressed by them.

scotroutes

backcountry.scot are now bringing in Alpamayo. I might see if I can borrow some for a comparison

hairylegs
    Free Member

Agree with the comments about holster and separate dry bag.

Wildcat Tiger Harness and Alpkit Airloc tapered dry bag here … perfectly happy with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Seatpack help’ is closed to new replies.