Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Seating tubeless tyres with CO2 cartridge
  • robertgray05
    Free Member

Hello

Anyone mount tubeless tyres with a CO2 cartridge? Any joy?

I tried with a wee Lifeline (wiggle) inflator doohickey but found it lets the gas out too slowly. Any recommendations for a valve that gives totally unrestricted BLAMMO of air?

I like the look of the Airshot, but £60 just seems too steep – <£5 for an inflator and <£1 for CO2 sounds better.

Cheers

B

PS I have heard CO2 can do nasty things to some sealants, but I’m not too worried about that. I’m just interested in getting it seated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did it on the trail after I pulled the tyre off the bead with a normal 16g cartridge, was fine. (Tubless Ready tyre and Stans Rim)
    Airsot works really well, borrowed my mates and one will be landing in my toolbox soon. Can’t be arsed to make my own and the airshot should be fine in hold luggage too which is important for me.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Did you take the valve core out?

wukfit
    Free Member

I got one of mine on using a CO2 inflator (the other went up with a track pump) with valve core in
    I then left it for a bit, let it down being careful not to unbead the tyre, pumped it up with a track pump
    Repeated this about 3 times and figured the co2 level was probably OK. removed valve core, injected sealant, valve core back in (don’t forget this bit) pumped back up

robertgray05
    Free Member

I do have a track pump and got the tyres up after 5-10 mins of frantic pumping – thats how I’ve always done it. Just looking for a better way.

When I tried the inflator, I did take the valve core out, yes… it just released in a very controlled manner

kimbers

Coke bottle jobbie for me

darrenspink
    Free Member

Here are some quotes from the NoTubes forum from Pete & Mike at NoTubes…

“Using CO2 is not recommended as it may set up the sealant. During a race though do what you have too to win. Just make sure the valve is at the top. And give the sealant a second to flow down to the bottom of the tire so not to be blasting right on the sealant. – Pete

It can shorten the life of the sealant in that it can turn the once liquid sealant into one rubber ball. If you must use CO2, you can inflate the tire without sealant, then deflate the tire and add your sealant through the valve stem. With most tire and rim combinations, the beads of the tire will stay on the benches of the rim making re-inflation much easier. -Mike

SirHC

CO2 can cause the sealant to ‘ball up’ and harden, best to use compressed air (compressor, flashcharger, airshot, etc)

scotroutes

So far, every tubeless tyre I’ve set up has been fine with a track pump. I did have one that needed a tube fitted first – to get a good bead.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sir HC – Member
    CO2 can cause the sealant to ‘ball up’ and harden, best to use compressed air (compressor, flashcharger, airshot, etc)

CO2 to seat, deflate, add sealant, then pump with track pump.

You can buy a hell of a lot of cartridges for the price of a compressor (or even an Airshot).

co2cartridges.co.uk for the carts. Inflator head I’m using is off one of those Genuine Innovations Ultraflate. Works fine with valve core in or out. Has a nice lock so you can inflate a bit and lock it. Have used that for trail side quick boost and remaining CO2 stayed in the cart for weeks under pressure.

I don’t use the cart holder it has, just use threaded carts and the head as it’s pocket friendly.

SirHC

CO2 to seat, deflate, add sealant, then pump with track pump.

You can buy a hell of a lot of cartridges for the price of a compressor (or even an Airshot).

Its a good point. I tend to swap tyres reasonably often, so for me having a flashchrager saves me a lot of time and faffing. I pour the sealant in to the tyre before seating it, never had a tyre not seat with the flash charger. The only time I wont inflate with the sealant in, is with a freshly taped wheel.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

As Deadkenny; that’s the way I’ve always done it; it works.

I don’t like seating a tyre with sealant in due to not wanting to ‘do a badger’

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Airshot and FlashCharger don’t contribute to climate change though, plus the waste of the metal cartridge…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Seating tubeless tyres with CO2 cartridge’ is closed to new replies.