Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Seat rails mounted rear light
  • Lakes_Puma

Looking at changing my rear light to a seat rail mounted one due to dropper post and mud guard fired to bike.

Looking at cateye volt and moon comet, any real world experiences of either or other suggestions?

amedias
    Free Member

GF has been using the Volts for about a year now, it’s good, super bright* from directly behind, battery life is great, and if you have a front one as well it’s nice that the batteries are interchangeable, but side visibility is not good at all so in hindsight for commuting It’s not as good as it could be.

I’ve got a Moon on my commuter, Crescent not Comet, as a secondary light and apart from it’s low run time I’ve been very impressed, the Comet looks to be even better as has better runtime and side visibility.

* I mean like, fooking bright, spot it from miles off , but only if pretty direct line of sight, I have to make her angle it down if I’m behind her as it’s blinding otherwise.

MoreCashThanDash

You can get a seat rail mount for exposure Flares, might work for others in their range. The Flare is a great light, anything brighter is overkill

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    amedias
    Free Member

I didn’t realise you could get a rail mount for the flare, but I’d recommend a TraceR over the flare for USB recharging rather than replaceable batteries.

teasel
    Free Member

I’d recommend a TraceR over the flare

Likewise. Also, if you choose the saddle mount I’d recommend leaving it in place once fitted and removing the whole thing to recharge as the plastic ‘clamp’ has a tendency to snap, particularly in colder conditions.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Second the tracer on a saddle rail. Seems very waterproof and very bright. As mentioned, once it’s in the rail mount leave it in there as they do seem brittle.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I use a Moon Crescent but have it attached on the gap I have between dropper collar and seat tube. If you run the collar right down then obviously not an option. I just use it for rare bits of tarmac on night rides or getting home. Don’t need huge run time, not sure how long it would actually last. Bright enough for people to notice me though.

If you want a serious one though, I’d recommend Four4th’s Scorpion which is seat rail mounted. http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

British based in Aldershot.

lukedwr
    Free Member

Have a Comet permanently on the HT, seems to withstand mud and rain well and the mount is sturdy. Fiddly to switch on with gloves. Battery life very good. Very bright.

sv

Zip tie round both rails at the back and then slid on pretty much any light with a clip 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

Anothet Moon user here. Got two; one on the commuter and another on an HT with a dropper. No complaints about them.

ThePinkster

I’ve always been wary of having lights mounted so far up the seattube as I’ve noticed in the past that they can get obscured by clothing, especially in wet weather, where a coat can hang over the back of the saddle.

How do you avoid that?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Moon Comet. Great lights, you don’t need to spend any more.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Good point and one that did cross my mind, only my jacket is loose enough to hang over the saddle but I always pull the draw cord thingy tight to help stop getting my arse wet which leaves the light clear.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Moon Comet – highly recommended. Mine came with two mounts, so the saddle rail one stays on the mountain bike (as it’s got a dropper post on it) and the other’s on the road bike. Good battery life, very bright, seems well made and TBH, USB charging for rear lights has to be the right way to do it – couldn’t be simpler.

jekkyl

Have you considered a small light attached to helmet or camelbak if you use one, or pinned to your back somewhere.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Oddly there appears to be no law about fixing them to yourself, yet I thought there was, but I’d at least avoid a helmet mounted light when on the road if not backed up by a fixed light. Turn your head and you become invisible.

On a backpack etc, they might get covered by clothing or loose stuff flapping about, but more importantly is people angle them straight ahead when standing but when riding the light can end up pointing up to the sky.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Seat rails mounted rear light’ is closed to new replies.