Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Seat post – to lube or not to lube?
  • timwillows
    Free Member

Do people lube their seatposts in any way?
    Not lubing seems like a recipie for it seizing, but lubing something held in place by friction seems wrong

sam42
    Free Member

grease appropriately before insertion….

timwillows
    Free Member

That's what I did, but seems to gently slip down now

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Is your seatpost the right size?

timwillows
    Free Member

Definitely the right size, very slow slip, about 5mm over 30 minutes of riding. Perhaps I just need to tighten the clamp a little

avdave2

What about anti seize rather than grease.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don't grease/lube the posts on my mountain bikes but they come out or go up and down a fair bit so don't get the chance to seize. The alloy road post gets coppaslip and the carbon road post gets pace assembly paste.

tron
    Free Member

Mine get a smidge of grease. I find slipping is usually down to the clamp, or a problem like an oversized frame / undersize post.

RealMan
    Free Member

I lightly grease my aluminium posts, then give it a good wipe down with a rag. Means the post moves freely and smoothly in the frame when you want it to, but shouldn't slip. If it does slip, wipe it down more. If it doesn't move freely, wipe a little less.

For my carbon posts, carbon paste does the job.

I find slipping is usually down to the clamp, or a problem like an oversized frame / undersize post.

I forgot to wipe one time (oo-er), and it slipped all through my next ride. So it can be due to grease.

incognito
    Free Member

never greased any of mine and never had a post seize.

smiffy

greasing a clamped post will not make it slip. quite the opposite. whether it slips is down to the size of the post compared to the reamed size of the tube and clamping force; ask an engineer.

oldgit
    Free Member

Same as RealMan, grease then wipe off.
    I've only had post slip on one frame and a new clamp sorted that.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Never lube my post – attracts dirt and not necessary. Just clean is after a ride and remove seatpost to allow to dry.

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

smiffy – Member

greasing a clamped post will not make it slip. quite the opposite. whether it slips is down to the size of the post compared to the reamed size of the tube and clamping force; ask an engineer.[b]

Im an Engineer – Lube it up Brother. You can never have too much Lube

eshershore
    Free Member

as a bike mechanic, I will always use high quality waterproof grease on an aluminium seatpost inserted on an aluminium or steel frame when servicing bikes in our workshop

Murray

Grease it and grease the clamp.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I understood grease was for mobile applications like BBs and hubs etc. It retains its properties through being frequently moved. If you put grease in a static application it dries out and loses it's properties – hence you see dry white powder residue in places like BB shells.

For static applications you should use ant-seize compound like CopperEase. THis isn't "grease" but it's designed to be applied where you have two surfaces mated together that aren't gonna move against each other such as BB cups/BB shell, seatpost/seat tube or bolts/holes.

Of course, as pointed out, if you regularily remove/clean your seatpost you won't have a problem.

MabolsaRichie
    Free Member

The last thing you want anywhere aluminium in a tight fitting situation is grit or sand and what is more certain than grease to pick up sand and grit? What you need is a tin of PTFE spray (ROCOL do it but there must be cheaper suppliers) ensure all surfaces are clean and free from dirt and grease and lightly spray the seat post allow to dry for a couple of seconds (a white dust will appear) and assemble parts as normal, any excess can just be wiepd off with a rag.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Seat post – to lube or not to lube?’ is closed to new replies.