Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Seat post slipping
  • simmy
    Free Member

I recently replaced my standard RaceFace Seatpost with a Charge Chopstick after the saddle snapped off the original mid ride 😯

When installing the Charge, it said to put a little bit of grease on but now I’m finding the Seatpost slipping.

The clamp was a bit dirty and gritty so I cleaned that up, but I’m now wondering if I’ve overdone the grease, I used lithium grease.

So just wondering if I used the wrong grease ? Should I just clean what I can off, or could the clamp be faulty and I will have to be forced to buy a shiny Hope one to match the Quick Releases ? 😉

Cheers

bigyinn
    Free Member

The grease is there just to prevent corrosion, so you dont need loads on there, just a thin film.
    Try cleaing out the seat tube a bit and just put a little on the seatpost itself.
    If that doesnt work you could get some carbon grease. This has some grit in it to increase the friction on the post.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m having a similar problem at the moment. 27.2 dropper in steel frame (not used any grease yet) seat post slips unless i do it up mega tight, then the dropper won’t drop.

I’m going to try and give it a good clean and put some grease on it. I hope this will help. I have Teflon grease will this be OK or should i try and get some Carbon stuff.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the post slips without grease, then it aint gonna be any better with grease.
    I’d deffo give carbon grease stuff a bash. Perhaps if that doesnt a bolt up seat clamp might be better. Thomson ones are supposed to be good.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Have you tried using friction paste?

pjm84
    Free Member

Had the same problem on my Burls Ti road bike. Used an Gorillia clamp in the end ( Cannondale Bad Boy version). Clamps the seat tube and the seat post.

z1ppy

Carbon grease stopped my ali post sliding down my ali frame, which was doing my nut (cannot change the seatpost clamp due to proprietary design)

scottfitz
    Free Member

Have you tried using friction paste?

so something like Finish Line Fiber Grip Assembly Gel?

gonzy
    Free Member

maybe a shim made out of a coke can if there is room for one

bigyinn
    Free Member

scottfitz, yes that should do the trick.

I wouldn’t go shimming anything unless you want potentially damage the frame.

mickolas
    Free Member

What about a little 600 or 800 grit wet n dry? Don’t go crazy with it obviously; just enough to break the glaze/remove the shine from the post. Then grease with whatever.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Seat post slipping’ is closed to new replies.