• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Seat Post Slide
  • mccraque

slight issue with my Cotic….brand new hope clamp. post keeps sliding into the frame. I lose about 2cm over a 20 mile ride. Which is enough to start annoying me.

I’ve degreased it and even tried carbon assembly paste (which didn’t work on steel and alu – doh!)

I can’t do the clamp any tighter. Post is correct size for frame.

Is the clamp shite? or are there other tips for such matters?

wwaswas

Thomson post?

You can use carbon paste on any frame, btw.

steve_b77
    Free Member

More paste.

My Cove Handjob used to do this with any post you used, not just Thomson, Carbon paste solved all.

spawnofyorkshire

Hope QR or bolt up clamp?
    I had all sorts of problems with my QR one.
    Oh and just use more carbon paste, it does work

Stevet1
    Free Member

….brand new hope clamp

I have identified your issue.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Salsa or chromag QR, hope ones are utterly useless.

pnik

+1 raisinhat i went from hope to salso on my old five made the difference, the bolt is much closer to post that on hope, so most of the clamping force seems to be bending the clamp on the hope. Ymmv

mccraque

It’s a QR Hope one. Very disappointed. Utter gash.

I’ll try a salso

iainc

what post ? as above, if Thomson, they have a habit of slipping or creaking in Cotic frames….

mccraque

it’s an On One.

2tyred

Will carbon paste work on a carbon post in an alu frame? I’d always assumed it would only be useful with a carbon frame.

Same issue here, I’m always paranoid about over-tightening the the collar.

uwe-r
    Free Member

A strip of electrical tape running lengthways can improve the fit and give it something to compress.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Had the same thing with a Hope clamp! Changed the clamp for £2.50 Halfords job and the problem went away!

nickdavies

Carbon paste or grease will help. If you don’t drop the post while riding change it for a bolt up collar, I’ve switched all my bikes to these now from qr ones and you can just torque it up properly and it won’t move.

BoardinBob

Hope QR is abysmal

Chromag one is just fantastic

martinhutch

My friendly LBS sold me a CNCed bolt and nut from hope which converts the QR clamp to a bolted one. Works fine for about eight quid.

cy

Sorry you’ve had trouble. Have you tried greasing the sliding surface on the cam of the Hope QR? A bit of grease in there to reduce the friction massively increases the load you can get on the clamp without feeling like you’re swinging off it. FWIW we sell the bikes with Hope clamps because in our experience they’re very good. I have one on all my bikes and most of the demo fleet.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Seat Post Slide’ is closed to new replies.