Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Seat Leon Cupra R – Anyone got/had one?
  • tops5
    Free Member

Any opinions? Can I gat 2 bikes in the back? What’s the MPG like?

Del

mk1 or mk2?
    mk1 prone to water leaking into the cabin, you can get two bikes in, but both wheels off both.

andywhit
    Free Member

>mk1 prone to water leaking into the cabin, you can get two bikes in, but both wheels off both.

If you fold the rear seats down then two bikes in easily with only one wheel off each.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I had a MK1 130 BHP 1.9TDI SE. Two bikes plus kit no issue in bike bags. Without the bags I reckon three would go in with wheels off.. Check out seatcupra.net great forum. The only issue you may have is the ground clearance with the body kit. Thats why I went for the 130SE.

andytherocketeer

I have a Mk1 Cupra (non-R). Both seats down, you can get 2 bikes in, but I found you have to take all wheels off. That’s with a week’s worth of luggage for 2, and the parcel-shelf fitted. You could easily get a 3rd bike in too, but not the 3rd person 😉

I found it’s best to take all the pedals off too for optimal “bike tetris”, but it’s not essential.

True about the water leaking in to cabin – I get a tiny bit of ingress around RH Front door, but never found the exact spot where the seal is leaking.

edit: and my 180PS 1.8 20VT claims to return anything from 6.7 to 7.8 liters/100km on an autobahn run (dunno what that is in MPG), with 98 octane being noticeably better than 95.

tops5
    Free Member

Thanks guys – will try to find a forum to see how widespread the water ingress issue is.

Dancake
    Free Member

Think there was a problem with door seals early on, but I think a lot of them got warranty fixes.

Another source of leaks is when your tinpot local garage does an air con service and doesnt put the Filter cover back together properly!! (from personal experience)

alwyn
    Free Member

Dad has a cupra (04, 185bph one), it’s made of cheese and bits fall off it. Also has a horribly tacky plastic interior.

Fits a few bikes in though.

andywhit
    Free Member

>Dad has a cupra (04, 185bph one), it’s made of cheese and bits fall off it.

Sounds like he got a “Friday” car. My ’02 Cupra is well put together.

Del

the water leaks are well documented, and my car’s an 03 tdi. the misting up really get’s on my nipples in the winter. grab handles on doors are crappy, crunchy plastic, but otherwise the interior is fine ( A3 dash and wheel ). shiny badge in the centre of the wheel can reflect sunlight and dazzle. it’s not a ‘bad’ car, i wouldn’t buy another, but is an ‘s’ and was never going to set the world on fire. i should imagine the cupra goes very well indeed and they have a rep as good handlers – that would make two very big differences to my outlook i am sure, but on the plus side my car is very cheap to run, which is why it was bought. nothing has actually gone wrong with it in two years.
    you can get two bikes in with just one wheel off if the passenger sits a bit further forward and more upright. i have the seat adjusted the same as mine, and at 5-10 andabit i wouldn’t say i have it miles back.
    IMHO if you want ‘that sort of car’, if it were me, i’d go buy a type-r and be done with it.

Brycey
    Free Member

Last of the line Rs were fairly wild with 225hp, and I liked the look of them with the body kit and big 5 spokes. I reckon they missed a trick with the new one, it’s a bit dull (IMHO obviously).

radoggair
    Free Member

had the last generation civic type r which handled 2 or 3 bikes in back no probs with luggage space. My last car, megane 225, also handld 2 or 3 bikes no probs though only buy new version (r26 or r26r if loaded) since original went wrong left right and centre. Now have the latest type r and although not super quick, has a well built good looking interior, ingenious folding rear seats and room for 2 or 3 bikes, in fact more room than last generation type r. Looked at cupra r but interior would sent me to sleep and only had a non economical 5 speeder, though was fast and rated quite well. Focus ST is roomy but drinks like a pirate at a gay bar

stuartie_c
    Free Member

04 TDI Cupra here (150BHP version).

Great car, I think. Fold the back seats forward (leaving seat backs in place) and you’ll easily slot 2 bikes and 4 wheels in (just be more careful than me not to get oil from mechs on the ceiling). Door seal issue is there – mine doesn’t let water into the interior but it does pool on the sill on the driver side until you open the door. Never been a problem. Very good handling car – TDI 150 shares suspension and chassis with petrol Cupra (not sure about Cupra R) so it’s firm but well planted. 50mpg is pretty easy on long runs for diesels.

DaveP

I had a Cupra, 57k miles in 15months. Great car, drove it flat out all the time, never had any problems (other than service every 9 weeks!). Very comfortable. Never got more than 28mpg, putting shell optimax paid for itself in increased MPG (and you got more power too).

The one to buy is the 150 tdi cupra (they didn’t exist when I bought mine).

Mk2 Cupra R doesn’t exist yet.

http://www.seatcupra.net

brassneck

<shameless plug>
    Do you want to buy a Mk1 ‘normal’ Cupra (20v 1.8T 180bhp)? 51 plate, 80K miles. Cambelt etc. done at 60k, lots of history including sorting a turbo leak which causes a mystery engine check light on all cars of this engine. 6 speed box, shocking patterned cloth interior.. what were they thinking…
    2nd owner, bought from a friend who was (honestly!) a careful lady driver 😀
    </shamless plug>

Selling mine soon to buy a a car I can get 2 kids in with more than a handkerchief 🙂 Car seats just eat space.

Fine for bikes, two in the boot seats down no trouble – but I’d throw in the roof rails for the right price anyway. I went to this from an Elise, and I think once you accept it isn’t also a go kart, it’s performance is up there with anything, if thats important to you.

I’ve only noticed water ingress if I park facing uphill in the rain, then you get a wet foot pulling away. Never been able to track it down.

The biggest issue has been coil packs going, but I’ve changed 3 now so shouldn’t be an issue! It is a bit thirsty, and high tax if the Co2 rates ever go through. But it’s a fun hot hatch, more poise than similar Golf GTi’s I’ve had on hire.

TheChunk
    Free Member

The door leaks are not a major issue imo, it’s an easy fix either with the official seal strip or squirty sealant.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Seat Leon Cupra R – Anyone got/had one?’ is closed to new replies.