Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Seaside weekend away, 2hrs from London. Where?
  • HansRey

hi all,

i’m tasked with booking a weekend away to the seaside, next weekend (1-3 sep). I’m in London and trying to keep travel time within 2 hours.

I’m looking at Hastings, Brighton, Margate, Broadstairs and West Wittering. Is there anywhere else i should look at?

orangespyderman

Filey by helicopter.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I think you’ve nailed it with Margate etc. Seaside: Job done. How are you getting there? Train link to Ramsgate quite good if I remember.

irvb

Depends what you’re after – West Wittering & Brighton both great, but completely different.

If I was looking to leave the city I’d be doing West Wittering -> lunch @ the Crown & Anchor at Dell Quay, wander round Chichester Harbour at Bosham, hire a rowing boat at Bosham, or a SUP at Wittering.

I’ve driven past http://www.quayquarters.co.uk – don’t know if any good for accommodation.

I work in Brighton, and love it, but do like a bit of solitude. Oh, sand at Wittering, pebbles at Brighton.

zippykona

What do you want from your weekend?
    Culture,views or nice pubs?

TomB

Train to Portsmouth and southsea, then fast ferry across to the Isle of Wight for its lovely south coast beaches, and feels like you’ve gone abroad…..

HansRey

i’d prefer the solitude! The best options for brighton are with airbnb, but it’s our first trip away. Would prefer our own space

irvb, i love the rowing boat idea

irvb

Isle of Wight seconded too – ferry is 30 seconds from the train. Great idea TomB.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Repent where In London you are coming from and if driving what time of the day you get moving

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depends not repent.

alanl
    Free Member

Solitude – Suffolk coast.
    Brighton is far too over-rated for me.
    Worthing is quieter, with nicer beaches (are there any worse beaches than Brighton?)

richardkennerley

Euston to Blackpool North takes something like 2hrs 20mins

irvb

Rowing boats etc. are here – http://chichestercanal.org.uk/ – about 15 mins drive from Wittering.

Can’t recommend this pub highly enough – http://www.crownandanchorchichester.com/gallery – probably my favourite on the south coast.

jimdubleyou

You can fly to Newquay in an hour from Gatwick

blitz

Whitstable

scuttler

Margate is ace – nice beach, good food and drink and Dreamland. Beaches at Broadstairs and north of it are great e.g Joss Bay.

HansRey

OK, so it’s narrowed down to…
    -Brighton (c. £240 on airbnb without parking)
    -Hastings (c. £190 on airbnb with parking)

I know Brighton well enough and that there’s loads to do/ see. How about Hastings?

mrmoofo

Hastings is a shithole …
    The old town in lovely …. but it is swamped by the rest. Which isn’t …

midlifecrashes

Deal is actually quite nice, and a lovely walk along the seashore from Deal Castle to Walmer castle, which is really lovely and has a nice cafe too.

zippykona

I’d happily go to Hastings. The old town has excellent pubs , there’s tons of bands playing.
    Fairlignt hills are gorgeous and you can go dinosaur footprint hunting when the tides out.
    Train journey to Rye to continue the fun.
    Pub wise The Ypres in Rye and First In Last Out(filo) in the old town.
    You have to find the good in Hastings, look beyond the shit.

CountZero

Dungeoness? Very atmospheric, so long as you keep the power station behind you.

allthegear
    Free Member

Kings cross to King’s Lynn in 1h40 then bus to North Norfolk coast? Thornham?

timba
    Free Member

Southwold, Suffolk

submarined
    Free Member

Don’t go to Hastings. Really. It used to be a craphole for all ages. Now it’s a craphole for adults but good for kids (my 4 year old loves the old town)

Honestly, it’s not a good place for a couple. Unless they’re both 5 and enjoy throwing pebbles and going up and down a funicular ad infinitum.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My birthplace Bournemouth. It’s crap but the beach is lovely

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stay local, go to Margate or Maldon or Southwold.

mrmoofo

Just remember that Brighton is the centre of the universe …

wait4me

Consider Eastbourne. Town is ok. A couple of half reasonable pubs and restaurants and an attractive prom. But real bonus is you can walk to Downland from your hotel and have some lovely walks to country pubs, cliff top views etc. I like Brighton and Hastings, but you can’t really walk to open countryside. Disclaimer, I live in Eastbourne and in general think it’s a dump but it’s immediate surroundings are awesome. Great if you’re bringing a bike too with Friston forest on doorstep.

martinhutch

Saarfend on Sea?

All the class of South Essex with the run-down flavour of Blackpool. What’s not to like?

Harry_the_Spider

Rye, Southwold or Whitstable.

HansRey

mrmoofo – Member
    Just remember that Brighton is the centre of the universe …

Booked airbnb accomodation in Brighton. Got a nice flat near the pier, for half the cost of a hotel. Great!

Then checked the trains, Southern are on strike… D’oh!

Thanks for all the advice folks. For those who suggested places other than Brighton (irvb…), I’ll remember those for next time 🙂

Any hidden gems in Brighton?

Kryton57

Well I for to Menorca in 1h 51…

irvb

Flat near the pier?
    Art? – Constable exhibition at Brighton Museum
    Beer? – Bison Beer off licence in East St
    Pub? – Seven Stars in Ship Street (good beers and gin)
    Bike shop? – Ubyk in Sydney St, Rayments at Preston Circus, Baker St Bikes – not in Baker St
    Coffee? – Small Batch Coffee, Bond St Coffee,
    Guitars? – GAK – North Rd, Brighton Guitars – Sydney St
    Magazines? – Magazine, Trafalgar St
    Supermarket – HiSBE
    Bakery – Flour Pot Bakery
    Curry – The Chilli Pickle
    Vege – Terre a Terre
    Wine – Ten Green Bottles

I like Brighton too.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’d get on the Javelin and choose somewhere on the Kent coast. If you want to drive then Suffolk coast is worth looking at.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Brighton is ok but can be pretty busy – I actually prefer Southend.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Seaside weekend away, 2hrs from London. Where?’ is closed to new replies.